Window rolls down automatically

Valicy

Feb 12, 2020
Washington
Got a ghost in my car. I left my window down a little and some water got in. After driving for 5-10 minutes my driver side window rolls down. Won't go back up. If I turn key off and back on I have about 5 seconds to roll the window back up before it goes down again. I removed the switch and it stops doing it. But if I plug it back in it goes down. Swapped switches and it still does it. I suspect it's getting commanded down and won't go up but I'm not sure where to look. Any troubleshooting tips for this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Ghosts that's what I had in a 72 olds442, pass. Window would roll up by itself when driving down the freeway ( manual windows)

• ItsAliens
Reactions: 1 user
My guess would be water in the switch. Disassemble, clean contacts, lube contacts, reassemble and then reinstall.
I swapped the passenger and driver side window switch and it still does it. The little box that the switches plug into looks good. I gotta do some more testing with the multimeter. Can't find anything about a control module so maybe it is the little box or 2 wires are rubbing together to command it down. Just strange that both switches would do it.

There should be a control module that attaches to the bottom/inside of the door panel for the auto down function-I’d guess it got wet
It doesn't have auto down.
(It Does.See below:D)
Found a wiring diagram for it and it doesn't have a control module. It's just power to the switch then to the motor. I'm assuming the motor got wet and is shorting out somehow. Gonna do some more testing when I get time and figure it out.

Found the problem. I guess it does have a control module in the door. It was hanging in the bottom of the door and had gotten water in it ( multiple times). There was 3 capacitors that fell off and I'm guessing were making contact to make the window go down... Cleaned it out and my windows work somehow... I'm guessing the capacitors go to the door locks which I don't have. Here's a picture. Can't believe it still moves the windows.
IMG_5677.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users