Exhaust Bassani X-pipe Now Has Their New Hi-flow Cats

Chythar

Recently finished repairing my rear
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Foothill Ranch, CA
tl;dr - was expecting old style cats on x-pipe, got the newer hi-flow ones.

Failed CA smog recently, so I decided to replace my Bassani x-pipe. It's a catted x-pipe, but the cats were hollowed out by the previous owner. To pass smog last time, I installed two of Bassani's hi-flow cats but left the hollowed cats on. Two working cats, but it looked like I had four. While I barely passed smog last time, CA changed their testing rules for manual transmissions - the attendant has to stay in a lower gear now (1st gear for the 15mph test, and 2nd for the 25mph test). This change caused me to barely fail - a couple points above the limits.

While I'm sure I could have used a couple of tricks to pass, I decided to make a more permanent change and just get two more cats. I bought a new Bassani catted x-pipe earlier this week, and since Bassani is based here in Southern California it arrived quickly. When I opened the box, I was quite surprised to see the new hi-flow cats on the x! All the photos on the web show the older style. The Bassani hi-flow cat has part number 25MSC. Here's a side-by-side photo of the two:

bassani_x_old_and_new.jpg

Should have taken a picture of the butcher job I did when I added the two other cats to the pipes, but ah well. Both x-pipes are exactly the same size, and the new x fit right on with no mods. Car does sound quieter than it used to, noticeably quieter. Haven't driven it enough to say if I've lost SOTP power.
popup_image_new.php

• Sponsors (?)