C4 Transmission Servo cover leak

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello-

I don't have a classic mustang (I'm a foxbody guy) but I do have a C4 transmission from a 1973 Ford Maverick with a 302.

I have been chasing down a transmission fluid leak and determined that it is leaking from the passenger side servo cover.

My question is... Can this be changed while the transmission is in the car and without removing the pan and valve body? (I just changed the pan gasket of course)

Any tips and tricks would be amazing.

Thanks

-Justin

• Sponsors (?)

Hello-

I don't have a classic mustang (I'm a foxbody guy) but I do have a C4 transmission from a 1973 Ford Maverick with a 302.

I have been chasing down a transmission fluid leak and determined that it is leaking from the passenger side servo cover.

My question is... Can this be changed while the transmission is in the car and without removing the pan and valve body? (I just changed the pan gasket of course)

Any tips and tricks would be amazing.

Thanks

-Justin
Sure can, here is the procedure:

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1365.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1365.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_1366.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1366.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
Sure can, here is the procedure:
Thanks so much for responding!

The transmission is running fine and shifting very well, ideally I'd love to just change the gasket for the cover to stop the leak. I have seen a lot of chatter about a spring or a band adjuster falling back into the pan or something (which i really do not want to have to remove again)... any concern there?

I'd love to keep the piston and everything in place and just fix this cover leak.

Last edited: