01 Gt Wont Start Without Gas Prime

ford96gtconv

Sep 16, 2000
tampa, fl
]My car has been sitting for over year, have broken back and clutch was fubared. Finally swapped clutch and PP out works great, went back to a stock clutch.
Now charged battery for 2 days hit the key no start, squirt gas into CAI/throttle body and runs, will run untiil I turn off than won't restart. I swapped the throttle position sensor and the 3 wire plug, thought that was the problem wire were all exposed and rotten. Wehn the car does start with help(prime with gas) is runs but when I try to gas it falls on it's face.Fells like when you have CAI off, will idle will throttle up slowly, but if I punch it it stalls and than have to prime again.
Any ideas all of a sudden this is my son's only transportation.

I call this car Frankenstang, 01 Gt with a 02 Police Intercepter swap

• Sponsors (?)

If this were my car, I would first check the fuel pressure to be sure it's correct. If the fuel pressure is not correct then a bad fuel pump should be considered as a possibility.

Once the fuel pressure has been confirmed, the stale gas should be considered. It is possible for the home DIY'er to drain the fuel tank without too much fan fair. What I have done in the past is to disconnect the fuel filter and attach a short piece of line. Put the line in a container.

There's a round connector below the bumper near the center of the fuel tank. Disconnect this connector and find the RD/BK and BN/PK wires towards the fuel tank.

What we are trying to do is to inject 12 volts towards the fuel pump to force it to run. Once done it doesn't take too long to drain the tank. The key to this is to not short out any other wires. Once you start powering the fuel pump if nothing comes out, reverse the lines.

Once the old gas has been drained, resist the urge to re-fill the tank. I would put on a few gallons back in just in case the tank needs to be dropped anyway.

Cycle the key on/pause/off several times before attempting to crank. This will help build fuel pressure.

If stale gas is your only problem then after the a short while the car should run normally.

If not, consider that the gas may have gummed up the fuel injectors. If so, consider an injector cleaning/flow test service such as injectorrx.com

Ok the okd gas ran out, I re[;aced the fuel filter and put 5 gallons of Super in it. I pulled the plugs and cleaned them, they were new rite before the clutch died, they were pretty crappy so I cleaned everyone. I squirted gas into the throttle body again and it ran. I drove it around my neighborhood for 30 mintues getting it hot. It still doing about the samething, i did get it up to 40 to45 MPH, but just babying it, If I try to gas it up alot it falls on its face. I pulled the injectors and cleaned them a little with spray and air washed out with gas and reinstalled. Same thing, so what am I missing, where can I get a fuel pressure gauge to check that??????

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
want to update and apologize for doubting you guys, it was the fuel pump, I bought the replacement electric pump, it's $100 cheaper only takes maybe 5 more minutes. But thanks for all the help, the Monster Lives now I have Mustang fever again!!!!