01 Mustang Gt Rebuild, Is It Worth It?

Kspinazzola

Sep 7, 2015
I am thinking about buying a 2001 Mustang GT for about $4200, it has 125000 miles with quite a few upgrades (CAI, with tune 75mm throttle body, magnaflow exhaust, new brakes and rotors) all within the last 3000 miles
I am thinking about rebuilding the engine, (will cost about $1000 I estimate)
Along with a new ford racing intake manifold, upgraded camshafts, and some external upgrades
Essentailly everthing but the body and chassie will be brand new

Total investment around $6500

I would like to be able to sell the car for a profit and have enough to buy a 2005-2009 Mustang GT or 2010 Camaro LS
My question is how much would the car be worth after all the work is done, and how much would you be willing to pay for it.
(Manual Transmission, good condition black paint)
Also do you think it would be worth it to do this?
I would like the experience of rebuilding a V8 engine so the work isn't much of a problem

Thanks for the feedback!

• Sponsors (?)

I like the building as thats part of the fun of being a car nut. I could never sell mine for what I got in it but thats not what I bought it for! Just my .02 worth!

The truth is you will probably not going to get what you put into it. Upgrades don't usually add value to the car. Sometimes it even lowers it. Some people see that the car has been modified and think that it has been abused/hot rodded.

Unless the car has sentimental value, I would just use the money that you were going to use for the purchase/rebuild/upgrades and get the car you really want.

Just my two cents.

In my honest opinion, I think you will be lucky to break even if you stay on budget. Going into the engine is a big project and its real easy to find something that will blow your budget. $6500 would be the high end for the sale price. It sounds a bit risky and your profit margin is pretty small, just my 2 cents anyhow.