01 V6 Cranking But Not Starting

KevinV

Jan 9, 2001
Hello,

I have what seems to be an odd problem. Have an 01 V6 that sits for a few days to a week without being driven. I'll go to start it, it will crank but not start. My battery charger shows the battery to be a bit low so I'll charge it. In 30 minutes or less, the battery shows charged and it will then start. If it sits for a few days, same thing. I replaced the battery even though OReilly's said it was good. It was almost 6 years old. Don't know for sure yet if I still have the problem but wanted to ask while I was thinking about it. Anyone know what this might be?

If not a bad battery, maybe a drain from something. If it is something battery/drain related, I don't get why it cranks but doesn't start. I'm used to cars that don't crank when there's a battery problem.

Thank for any info,
Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

Not that I have noticed. I drove it this morning to an appointment and back and it was fine. I'll probably let it sit till the weekend and see what it does.
Thanks.

Follow-up. Still having this problem. The car started fine for a few days then one morning would crank but not start. Put the battery charger on it. It showed the battery was low. After 30 minutes or so it started fine. I checked the voltage across the battery when its running, 14+ so the alternator is working. I still need to check for a battery drain when its sitting. That seems the likely cause but I don't know what would cause an additional drain all of a sudden. Otherwise I don't know what else to consider and will probably take it to a local shop on Monday. They are closed this week.

Believe it or not the radio memory will drain your battery quick. Ppl think because the car is off there is no power but things like radio the computer door locks ect have constant power. Weak battery will mess with the anti theft system. I learned this the hard way when I paid to have my pats replaced and it was just a weak battery.

Ends up the fuel pump was bad. An intermittent problem which explains why it would eventually work. I got off to the wrong diagnosis with suspecting the battery. The fuel pump would kick in after the assortment of starting attempts you normally do when you're trying to start a car when charging the battery. I also don't know why my charger would show the battery as low. Any way it's fixed. Thanks for the help.

hey guys new to the forum, I am having the same problem with my 01' 4.6L GT, it seems that when weather gets cold and car sits will only crank and not start. This is not allows the case and has happened in warmer weather but more freq in cold ops. I do know this when I pull the air intake off and spray starter fluid in the car starts every time. Starter? or starter relay is what I have come up with, any other ideas would be appreciated

stwjet

Dude don't spray starting fluid it can mess up your maf. Start with a battery. Sounds like u got a dead cell. It will show its self more in the cold. If that don't fix it then I would check the fuel pressure. Might be a weak pump and temp can effect them 2.

Dude don't spray starting fluid it can mess up your maf. Start with a battery. Sounds like u got a dead cell. It will show its self more in the cold. If that don't fix it then I would check the fuel pressure. Might be a weak pump and temp can effect them 2.

I miss spoke in previous post and meant to say "fuel pump or fuel pump relay" I only used the starter fuel just to get an idea if I have fuel getting to the engine, which it appears I do. when it didnt start while cranking I could not tell whether or not the fuel pump was on but like I said using starter fluid engine started right up. any thoughts thx

Swap the horn relay with the fuel pump relay. Try honking the horn. If it works then your relay is ok and I would lean to fuel pump. Replace filter first if no change go to pump but either way a new filter is needed.