02' 3.8l Into A 98 3.8l Body?

ian504

Jul 25, 2014
Ok so I have a 1998 v6 3.8L mustang with a blown engine, my dad and I are planning on swapping it out. I found a 3.8L engine out of a 2002 mustang in great shape for a good price. I was wondering what exactly I would have to change to make the 02 engine work in my 98.
For the people who are wondering...
Why not v8 swap?
Don't have the time or money at the moment
Why not get a 3.8L out of a 97 or 98?
Most 99+ 3.8Ls are cheaper and in better shape than the 97&98 3.8Ls. Also they have the split port and offer about 40hp.
I know it can be done, just want to know how difficult it will be.
If anyone has done this and know what needs to change in the 98 to fit the 02 engine it would be appreciated if you could help me out.

• Sponsors (?)

The biggest thing is that you need to modify your fuel rail. Single port heads use a return-style rail, and the split ports use a returnless. Theres almost no information on how to do it, though, and I haven't started fiddling with it yet. And depending on the year of the new engine the lower manifold may need work. Your 98 uses two water temp sensors in the lower. I have a 99 lower so I will have to drill and tap a new hole . I forget if the 02 needs amother hole drilled. You need an 02 throttle cable, and you'll need to rework the harness placement. The coils are located on the side on the new block, and harness has to be cut so it can reach. It's not very organized info, but it's what I've gathered so far.

The first picture shows the rear of the engine and fuel rail.
IMAG0072.jpg

this is the old style rail.
IMAG0075.jpg