02 v6 issue rev's for no reason

john95f3

Feb 17, 2004
Ok i have a 01 v6 mustang with 60k miles, auto. It will rev up sometimes around 3-4 k rpms and stay there for no reason. sometimes at idle and sometimes just driving it will rev and i can hardly hold it at speed with the break,...
there are no engine lights coming on and it has been fine since i got it except for this. any ideas on what to check.

I reset the ECU by disconnecting the batteryu for a few minutes and that seemed to help for a few hours...

[email protected]
:shrug:
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

john95f3 said:
Ok i have a 01 v6 mustang with 60k miles, auto. It will rev up sometimes around 3-4 k rpms and stay there for no reason. sometimes at idle and sometimes just driving it will rev and i can hardly hold it at speed with the break,...
there are no engine lights coming on and it has been fine since i got it except for this. any ideas on what to check.

I reset the ECU by disconnecting the batteryu for a few minutes and that seemed to help for a few hours...

[email protected]
:shrug:
thanks
Sounds like a bad idle control valve. I don't know what is it called on the 3.8, but it is located on the throttle body, and controls the idle speed. It may be clogged with carbon, or just malfunctioning. Start by running codes if you are going to fix it yourself.

Indeed. It's not a computer glitch - if it's revving that hard, especially when at speed, then you're actually getting significant air flow into the engine.

Items to check would be the Idle Air Control Valve, and the Throttle Body itself. Also you might want to check out the throttle cable and linkage to make sure there's nothing sticking.

Check it out immediately. That's a very dangerous condition, you shouldn't be driving it like that.

bhuff30 said:
Sounds like a bad idle control valve. I don't know what is it called on the 3.8, but it is located on the throttle body, and controls the idle speed. It may be clogged with carbon, or just malfunctioning. Start by running codes if you are going to fix it yourself.
Well I chnaged the Idel control valve. Simple 5 minute job. And it seems to of fix the problem.
THank You..
BTW: no one sells them , you must go to ford to gt the part and it cost me $86....

thanks for all your help everyone.
attachment.php

Attachments

• dads new car jpg.jpg
    dads new car jpg.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 163