03/04 Mach 1's with Cobra Jet badging on shaker

• Sponsors (?)

What cams are you running, I'm trying to decide between cams or a Kenne Bell.

Comp Cams 106400

With SLP LT headers, catted mid-pipe, tune and stock intake...car puts down close to 360 rwhp/330 rwtq. And is a hoot to drive, it's a missile past 3500 rpms. It lost a little down low but I plan on adding 4.30s this year. Besides the sound alone is worth it, ha. :p

After the gears I'll do something with the intake because the stocker starts to choke right past 6000 rpms, probably have it ported, and possibly change the runner length but I need to research more and save more money. That could add another 10 - 15 peak rwhp (others have made between 370 and 380 rwhp with similar setups, closer to 400 rwhp if you have your heads worked on but that's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) + after that it should make power all the way up to 6800+ RPMs.

I wanted to do something different than just slap a blower on it, but it's hard to argue the power/$$$ that you get with a blower when compared to cams.

That's not a debate in my book. An industrial sized vacuum cleaner on the top of a Mach 1 (under the shaker)....:drool:

Thats no debate to me, do you want 30 extra horses, or as many extra horses as you want???

Or get both!!!! :D

This, ha.

Thanks Catman I'm not really a big fan of tearing apart the motor more than I need to and my guess is I'll probably get about the same HP with a blower running 6-8psi as I would with a cam and ported heads and intake, the nice thing is I have access to a machine shop so I'll same major $$$. Do you know what the difference between supercharger cams and regular cams are... other than the obvious answer. LOL

Thanks Catman I'm not really a big fan of tearing apart the motor more than I need to and my guess is I'll probably get about the same HP with a blower running 6-8psi as I would with a cam and ported heads and intake, the nice thing is I have access to a machine shop so I'll same major $$$. Do you know what the difference between supercharger cams and regular cams are... other than the obvious answer. LOL

I pretty much agree with you, the only reason I did it is because I had spun a rod bearing and needed to rebuild anyway, figured since I was going through that the time would be now you know.

Not sure about the differences but if you go on mach1registry there are some pretty knowledgeable guys on there (at least there were) when it comes to doing major work for our Machs. :flag:

I was curious too, and I ended up catching this tidbit of info from a website that ultimately crashed my browser.

"Using a "blower" cam that optimizes the breathing characteristics of the blower can improve both low speed torque and high speed power. A long duration cam with a lot of overlap isn't good with a blower because the boost pressure goes in the intake valve and right out the exhaust port at low speed. What works best is a cam with little overlap, a lot of lift and duration but more lift and duration on the exhaust valves (since the blower does nothing to help evacuate the cylinders). With a turbocharged engine, more lift and duration is needed on the intake valve to prevent backpressure (created by the turbo) from backing up into the cylinder."

I was curious too, and I ended up catching this tidbit of info from a website that ultimately crashed my browser.

"Using a "blower" cam that optimizes the breathing characteristics of the blower can improve both low speed torque and high speed power. A long duration cam with a lot of overlap isn't good with a blower because the boost pressure goes in the intake valve and right out the exhaust port at low speed. What works best is a cam with little overlap, a lot of lift and duration but more lift and duration on the exhaust valves (since the blower does nothing to help evacuate the cylinders). With a turbocharged engine, more lift and duration is needed on the intake valve to prevent backpressure (created by the turbo) from backing up into the cylinder."

Yup, that's pretty much it. The idea of a blower cam is to get and keep as much air in the cylinder as possible. You do that by decreasing overlap and increasing lift and duration.

I think that any modifications to your car look good as long as they're tasteful. I don't think the cobra jet is trying to be something it's not either. The only thing I don't like is v6's with GT badges and GT's with cobra badges