03 COBRA KILLED A M5 Tonight...

New50

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2001
In Danville, Ca, if any of you know of the place.....maybe "killed" isn't the proper lingo, but read on. So let me preface all this with a backstory. My gf , whom I'll proudly say I've turned into a regular motorhead, complete with driving skills, vocab and know-how, picked up an '03 cobra (beautiful sonic blue) with like 1200 miles on it, now it's close to 3,000 after about a month and a half. I have a 94 a4 (2.59 yucky gears) lt1 yellow vette currently with just open lid intake and aftermarket ac/delco computer, but mostly it's just a stock freak of nature. We've raced from a roll on the highway a couple times with most factors even (55-100 mph, with the cobra starting in 3rd) and surprisingly to me the vette stayed within about a car every time, maybe because of aerodynamics, but also probably because she should try starting in second from 50-55.

But who cares, that's not the point, I've been looking forward to seeing what the cobra can do to faster cars with me behind the wheel (me being the best driver EVER, and all). Tonight we went down to blockbuster to grab a dvd, and I begged to drive the cobra, which I think is just sick across the board, and as usual she was a perfect gf and handed me the keys. On the way home (full tank, and a gf owner/passenger in tow) I see a silver m5 go across while waiting for a left turn, I perk up and say "uh-oh, m5!" to the gf, and she urges me on (once again, perfect). I get through the light and turn, luckily he's stopped at a popular interesection, no one next to him. I pull up and throw him a rev, and the late 20's, early 30's (it was dark) guy driving was kind enough to tear himself away from his cell phone convo to look over. I don't know if he knew what was next to him or not. Light changes, I start off to a fast roll, not knowing if he's going or not....he punches it but hits traction control or boggs it, I dunno. I slow and he catches up right before a particularly straight and deserted stretch of road, I put it in second going about 45, and punch it, he goes at the same time.....to my glee, the cobra pulled 1+ car length up to about 100. I found myself almost watching the race more than actually driving, shifts were pretty good (has a short shifter), took it up near redline, but they could've been slightly better/crisper. All in all I'd guess the cobra would probably get @ 3 lengths on that m5 (13.2 @ 109 car & driver) in the 1/4, everything equal. Fun race, it's also a nice feeling to show a fast car that it's not the fastest around. :owned: ....even if it wasn't mine :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

New50 said:
Fun race, it's also a nice feeling to show a fast car that it's not the fastest around. :owned: ....even if it wasn't mine :nice:

Yep.

I haven't run across an M5 yet but would expect to take him, given he's got less horsepower and weighs more.

The M3 boys have learned, though. Most of the time, if it's a 25-35 year old behind the wheel they just refuse to make eye contact. :D

Snake03 said:
Yep.

I haven't run across an M5 yet but would expect to take him, given he's got less horsepower and weighs more.

The M3 boys have learned, though. Most of the time, if it's a 25-35 year old behind the wheel they just refuse to make eye contact. :D

True, I've taken a couple no-torque new m3's in the vette.....

-not too much difference in weight (especially with a full tank and passenger in the cobra), though, m5's curb weight I think is around 4,000 (400 hp 375 ft/lb. tq).

see my first post for the 1/4 mile time, 0-60 is about 4.8 for m5's, fairly close to a cobra's 4.6.