13 Second 79 Stang.

Keanansfords

Nov 12, 2016
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the drag scene and need some help. I've built a couple 351 clevelands for cruising but not a 302, nor for performance. I've been asked by a friend to build him up a 302 to run 13.9xx. The bottom end is a 306 shortblock. He has Edelbrock performer heads, stock ford intake off an 1983 era tbird. And 3.73 gearing. He'll be running an AOD in it. What I'm kinda looking for is carb suggestions, cam suggestions(e303?), Maybe arp rod bolts? Roller rockers. What else do you guys have for me? Any and All suggestions welcome!

• Sponsors (?)

In what kind of ride? I would think 13.9 would be fairly easy unless your drive'n a dump truck.
It's a 79. It'll actually have an offenhauser 360 intake instead of a stock ford I mentioned. 3.73 gear, edelbrock performer heads on a 306 short block hooked up to an aod. I'm thinking about a 650-675cfm carb?

I' m not sure, autos are not my thing.
I can tell you the stock AOD is a slushy transmission, and not really suited for the 1/4 mile.
I'm sure there are guys that have done it, and will give more specific advice.
I've got a builder for the trans that does racing AOD's all the time. I'm thinking around a 2800 or something may be a good fit after doing some research.

No to the e303 cam. If you want a good cam recommendation(s) you should contact comp cams,lunati,bullet cams,etc and fill out their online forms. As a general recommendation a comp 264 or 270hr would work well. A 600 is more than enough carb but a 650 would work also. With 3.73's and those cams you'll want around a 24-3000 stall. Should get you solidly in the 13's and possibly high 12's if the car is setup correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
Just my two cents, get a quickfuel carburetor. The mechanical secondary comes in a 650, 670 for vacuum.

Don't get any though my larger than that though.

Trickflow stage one cam is nice too.

Just my two cents, get a quickfuel carburetor. The mechanical secondary comes in a 650, 670 for vacuum.

Don't get any though my larger than that though.

Trickflow stage one cam is nice too.
I went from a demon 650 to a qf 780 vacuum secondary on my main 351c mostly stock and that car loves it. Something about huge ports and canted valves enjoy the bigger carbs but I'm thinking a 625-675cfm carb for the 302. I'll have a look at the stage one cam.

No to the e303 cam. If you want a good cam recommendation(s) you should contact comp cams,lunati,bullet cams,etc and fill out their online forms. As a general recommendation a comp 264 or 270hr would work well. A 600 is more than enough carb but a 650 would work also. With 3.73's and those cams you'll want around a 24-3000 stall. Should get you solidly in the 13's and possibly high 12's if the car is setup correctly.

I'll look around and make some calls. The tfs stage 1 cam as suggested as well is very similar in specs to the comp 270hr. Cost is a factor in this build so whatever can be had on the cheap. I was thinking a 2800 would seem fair.

Anything larger than a 650 on a 302 is just too much. It actually takes a pretty tough 302 to handle one.. and a .030 overbore just doesn't do the trick.. you need it to breath really well and spin it way up there. A dual plane intake isn't going to cut it. Also, you have to match your stall converter to your camshaft. That keeps you in your tourque curve.

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen guys run pretty good with 500cfm carbs on 302s. I've always been a fan of 600s. The alphabet cams...f, e, and the almighty b cam are outdated now. The e cam was one of my favorites...but then again so was staggering my rockers ( 1.6 intake 1.7 exhaust with 1.60 intake valves and 2.02 exh. and ported e7 heads ) [emoji15]

13.9 shouldn't be a hard number to beat.

For off the shelf- I like comp cams. You should get a little more from a custom cam for the set up you're putting together. I try to build around a cam and not the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users