18" Wheels On A 65 Conv. 7" Or 8" Wide???

nittanylion1965

Jul 4, 2015
Hi,

I did all my home work and I found the tire size and wheel backspacing that will fit under my lowered 65 conv.

Now, the tire size will fit on both a 18-7 wheel and an 18-8 wheel.

Is there any reason to go for the wider wheel?
The thinner wheel will be lighter and less expensive by a smidge.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey, I'd like to hear what specs you've come up with. I'm going to go with 18x8s on all four corners running 235/40-18 (I might go a smidge wider in the rear for a staggered effect, but probably not). I'm thinking 4.75" backspacing, too. I basically copied the 17x8 specs and shrunk the tire to make the overall dimension the same. Thoughts? I want to go with a set of HRE wheels and want to get this right.

Hi XJ,

Yes! You ended up right exactly where I ended up. I found 235/40-18 to be the largest 18" wheel/tire combo that can be squeezed in without rolling fenders. The 4.75 BS should work (with 8in wheels) for all four corners.

Right now I have temporary 245/45-17's on my car. 4.75" BS. They fit fine in the rear (1/2" clearance to wheel well) and rub a little bit on the frame rail in the front when the wheel is fully turned.

What model HRE wheels are you going with? I'll be going with Rocket Racing "Rocket Booster Chrome" wheels with BF Goodrich g_Force Sport Comp 2 tires.

Awesome, I was just about to make the same post but I'm glad you beat me to it and have tested it already. I wanted to go with the 563Rs but apparently they don't make them anymore so I need to find another set. Also, they'll be attached to Baer Pro + brakes and TCP coilovers so I'm excited for the change, but man I won't be able to buy anything else for awhile. Do you have any pics and how lowered is your car?

The pic below is a bit old, but you get the idea. I did the Shelby drop in the front and 1" lowering springs and 1.5" lowering blocks in the rear. Once I get the wheels/tires on and make sure everything fits nice, I'd like to go another 1" all around.

Attachments

• 1965 Mustang.jpg
    1965 Mustang.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,089
Nice, looks great. Don't you get any rubbing with the fenders though with the wheel turned? I really want the protouring look but I'm afraid 8" wheels are too narrow, but I don't have the money to mini tub and I don't want to go to a Mustang II front end and remove the shock towers just yet.

I think back spacing is about 6.2" and I used a 1/4 spacer to move the tire away from the leaf springs. I put them on a year ago and did a lot measuring but forgot the exact numbers.My fender lips are cut and the lower wheel house is clearanced . No other mods are done.