1966 Hesitation Problem

nt2old2

Mar 29, 2016
First post here. I have a 1966 Mustang coupe - as simple a car as you can get. ^ cylinder, no a/c, no p/s, automatic. Was stored for 12 years - have replaced all the fluids, ignition components (cap, wires, plugs, points, condenser, rotor. Timing is dead on at 12 BTDC. Installed a rebuilt carb (autolite 1100). Was running well then the carb started flooding out. Of course, the fuel tank was drained, flushed and filter changed. Became hard to start - would intermittently run awesome then wouldn't start. Took it in for other under car issues - they replaced the carb again. Now starts OK but from a dead stop if you don't feather the gas pedal it hesitates and stalls. Once under motion all is OK. It has been a really long time since I did any hands on work so between my love of classic mustangs and the simplicity of this one in particular I am back at it. Just cannot figure out the hesitation. Thoughts are appreciated - point me in the right direction. Maybe Autozone rebuilt carbs are not the way to go??

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your accelerator pump needs adjusting. This is what gives the engine the quick boost it needs until the the air passing thru the venturi can build the vacuum or suction it needs to pull fuel thru the passages. Any rapid change is handled by the accelerator pump then by vacuum so to speak.
I hope I explained that in an understandable manner?
Your first new carb sounded like a sticking or bad float.

I had the same exact problem on my car that sat for 6 years. Mechanic friends also told me most likely a sticky accelerator pump. Ran a can of carb cleaner through and the varnish or whatever it was causing the stumble cleared itself. Now I get smooth acceleration.

Thanks for the feedback - hopefully the rebuilder of the carb did that when they disassembled it but based on the fact this is already my second rebuild from them in a little over a month you may be on to something.

Hoping to get back to this on the weekend. Noticed something different though between the original carb and the "new" rebuilt one. I think it is a SCV? What impact would it have, if any, on my hesitation / stalling issue?

Attachments

• IMG_6293.JPG
    IMG_6293.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_6882.JPG
    IMG_6882.JPG
    510.3 KB · Views: 400
I believe it could be part of your problem if not all. The SCV was meant to work with the old Loadomatic distributors and depending on which dizzy you have you might be mismatching. The SCV works to reroute vacuum when it senses certain manifold vacuum drops. Sudden acceleration = manifold vacuum drop + SCV kicks in and switches to venturie vacuum so you may have found your problem?

Disregaurd what I just posted about the loadomatic cause I could be all wrong about it. It had vacuum only advance but not centrifugal advance. Anyway read the article and do other google searches and you can determine yourself which you have.
You should be able to pop the dist cap and see if you have centrifugal advance as well as they vacuum.

Well it looks like your dizzy has vacuum advance and the loadomatic didn't have any sort of advance installed so id say that you have the wrong carb/dizzy combo.

I just found this article on converting your carb to non SCV.

http://www.63fordfalcon.com/articles/autolite-1100-carburetor/96-drop-a-load-o-matic.html
Thanks for the article. Have not had much time to get back to this. Since the carb was recently purchased rebuilt from Autozone I thought the easy thing to do was return & replace. They were most cooperative but suddenly their supplier has no more 1100's rebuilt or new. Verified it on their website so now looking at plan B or is it C? Everything is running fine except for this hesitation. Was hoping I could just remove the SCV and insert a threaded plug in its place. so far nothing on the web telling me I can do that.