1968 Mustang - Driving Without Power Steering Belt

lazersnake

Nov 20, 2013
Hello All,

I'm back to the fountain of knowledge. I have a 1968 Mustang with a 289 engine with factory power steering. I have a leak where the power steering pressure hose meets the control valve. All the fluid has pretty much leaked out and I have a new hose on order.

My questions:

1. Can I take the power steering belt off and drive without it so I don't burn out the near
WP_20141025_002.jpg
WP_20141025_003.jpg
empty power steering pump?

2. Will this cause damage to the rest of the power steering system to drive with no pressure?

3. Will my alternator belt be enough to drive the fan and water pump? (I'm assuming the water pump is in line with the fan...)

I've attached pictures of the belt system to help whoever is kind enough to answer my questions.

Thanking you in advance,

Jack

• Sponsors (?)

#3, yes it will be enough to run the water pump and alternator.

# 1 and #2, your car will probably drive like a #2 without power assistance. No belt on a powered system is usually much harder to steer than a non power set up. Will it hurt it? If you can keep from wrecking it on the way to the shop, probably not. If you daily drive it, I am not sure. Stopping that hose end leak should be much cheaper than fixing a fender bender!

2 things. .. .
Driving with the power valve and but no operable ram. . .the valve is going to be hitting the stops at each every time you turn and you are going to be forcing the ram to extend/retract which could be a lot of drag. If you feel you must drive the car, please try it out in your driveway first.

Fluid from the pressure of the pump keeps the ball stud tight in the valve assembly when the pump is running .There will be a lot of slop in the steering with it not hooked up and would probably not be safe to drive as it will drift all over the road .Alternator runs off its own belt so no problem cooling .

Thanks guys. As always, you have the answers.

It sounds like I'm in for a ride to get it to the shop. I'll make it a short straight run once I get the power steering hose.

Btw, any tips or not-so-oblivious things to watch out for when I'm swapping out the pressure hose? It seems fairly straight-forward (famous last words...). I've seen pictures where a metal clamp encompasses the pressure and return hose around the control valve which I didn't have before. I'm assuming this led to the hose kinking near the connection causing my leak in the first place...

Thx,

Thanks guys. As always, you have the answers.

It sounds like I'm in for a ride to get it to the shop. I'll make it a short straight run once I get the power steering hose.

Btw, any tips or not-so-oblivious things to watch out for when I'm swapping out the pressure hose? It seems fairly straight-forward (famous last words...). I've seen pictures where a metal clamp encompasses the pressure and return hose around the control valve which I didn't have before. I'm assuming this led to the hose kinking near the connection causing my leak in the first place...

Thx,
As the drag link moves from side to side when turning it works that metal end on the pressure hose bending it slightly and can cause it to crack after a while .