1969 Mustang Headlight Install Procedure

I've hit a wall on this one.... I don't remember headlights being this difficult to replace. The spring seems to be the most difficult step. With everything off what is the procedure for installing?

Do you take the whole bucket off and semi-install everything putting the spring on last? This would be done with very long needlenose or hook (brake tool).

Or do you leave the bucket in, attach the spring and then attach the retaining screws last?

• Sponsors (?)

There is a tool made for the spring , i made one from a small philips screw driver ,it is simply a hook on the end that reaches in and grabs the spring and hooks it to the bulb retainer trim ring .the bulb goes into the headlight can and the trim ring is hooked with the two screws over the bulb,.the whole assembly is hooked to the adjusters and then the spring to the stainless trim ring ,it can be a pain in the butt to hold it in place and hook the spring .

You are dead on right...exactly what I was thinking! At first I was ready to fire up the torch and make a hook tool with my dollar store long screw driver. Instead I found a simple "brake tool adjuster" at Advance Auto.....its a T-handle with a small hook at the end offset by 30 degrees (an added bonus).

So if I really understand this, I put the bucket-bulb-retainer ring together with the two screws, and then, as one unit, twist the bulb into the adjuster screws, and finally finagle the spring onto the assembly using "the tool"?

I just happen to have a headlight still assembled from my 69 CJ and my handy dandy I am to cheap to buy one, spring tool .
_MG_5997.JPG
_MG_5996.JPG

For future posterity...this is a tool that I found at Advance Auto on the shelf.... Autocraft Spring Hook Tool....$12. Not nearly as impressive as the re-purposed screw driver but it does have a 30 degree offset toward the bottom which can come in handy.
10051066_atc_ac658_pri_larg.jpg

Reactions: 1 user