Build Thread 1990 Lx 5.0 Restomod Build

• Sponsors (?)

Got the muffler fixed today. I loosened the bolts at the h-pipe to flow tubes connection, placed 2 shims about 3/4" thick in between the muffler and frame to get the muffler away from the frame, then tightened up the bolts with the shims in place. After everything was tight I pulled the shims out and the muffler stayed in place.

No more rattling and the car seems smoother just normal driving. Amazing how this small amount of contact seemed to make such a difference.

I hear ya, but it's about 90 here in Florida today with 70%-ish humidity, so A/C is nearly a must have.

Next up first part of next week is the brake booster. Picked up a remanufactured one from Advanced yesterday along with a universal joint socket, so I should be ready to go.

Outstanding thread, lots of good info and pics. Everytime I look at mine I see all the work that needs to be done, and I will keep coming back to this thread for inspiration.

Thanks man. Like I said way in the beginning, I have always appreciated thorough build threads with lots of pictures...this is just my effort to replicate.

So I picked up a new booster from Advance last week and installed it this morning. Really not too bad of a swap; the biggest concern was making sure not to kink the brake lines when I pulled the master cylinder out of the way to remove the booster. The worst nut was the upper left (viewed when sitting in the driver's seat). I was able to remove the knee bolster piece and use a combination of a 14mm socket, 10" extension, 6" extension and 3" extension to reach that nut. I snaked the extensions just to the lower left of the steering wheel and right through the wiring. Fit perfect and I was able to remove the nut.

I also removed the driver's seat. HUGE help.

Started the car and no more hissing, and the hissing is barely audible when I push the brake pedal.

Here's a couple pics of my old booster.

0_0_47b6c66914f75ba28fde9a8270cac159_1

0_0_15234b2a8a742d5d80be3d12625d8a68_1

Not much going on lately, obviously I've accomplished quite a bit and things are slowing down. We're also preparing for our move so focus has shifted a bit from the Mustang and towards the move.

I did get a few things for Father's Day though. New Lloyd Floormats from LMR, a hood prop rod retaining clip as mine was missing, and a basic tune up kit (spark plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap). I got the car cleaned up this morning and the mats put in. I'll try and get the other items installed later this week but it may end up being a couple weeks before I get to it. I'm out of town again in Oklahoma City next week for work.

Floor mats installed
0_0_f1a772f51fb6176b24ed8d91e4b5857a_1

0_0_0fe54aba32d541a777c501804b0dcc94_1

0_0_927428e2260082afe6a9dcfb6e6181d4_1

0_0_3a991894c9baeced0ccc2b11d22bf235_1

Not much cooking lately (except the parts below). I had 3 straight weeks of travel for work so all I did was drive the car back and forth to the airport. So I guess I've been driving it and enjoying it, rather than wrenching on it.

I went to take it to the store a couple days ago, let it idle in the driveway for a couple minutes, then noticed some smoke coming from the driver's side underneath the hood. Shut it off and popped the hood to find this (I removed the screw holding the fuse block to the sheet metal):

0_0_737c8421c5c9a709b364e0164e59f1dd_1

I bought this wiring install kit when I upgraded to a 3g alternator over a year ago and haven't had any issues. After posting another thread on here, come to find out these audio type fuse block holders aren't too good under the hood. So I upgraded to a MEGA fuse block holder with a 150A fuse. Got everything put back together today and no more smoke. It'll drive me nuts though for a couple weeks every time I drive it. I'll be watching to make sure I don't see more smoke.

I also replaced the ignition switch, just for piece of mind, since those tend to fail on these cars. So much that Ford did a recall on them at some point. Glad I checked. Here's what I found when I removed it.

0_0_c115e9b6ba1d57d3a60ae68d23c82a96_1

So, after a couple of near smokey/fire scares, I'm upgrading my insurance to collector's insurance in the next few weeks. It will actually drop my insurance premium by a couple hundred a year, but I'd rather have the car insured for a set value rather than leaving it up to "the book".

Not much cooking lately (except the parts below). I had 3 straight weeks of travel for work so all I did was drive the car back and forth to the airport. So I guess I've been driving it and enjoying it, rather than wrenching on it.

I went to take it to the store a couple days ago, let it idle in the driveway for a couple minutes, then noticed some smoke coming from the driver's side underneath the hood. Shut it off and popped the hood to find this (I removed the screw holding the fuse block to the sheet metal):

0_0_737c8421c5c9a709b364e0164e59f1dd_1

I bought this wiring install kit when I upgraded to a 3g alternator over a year ago and haven't had any issues. After posting another thread on here, come to find out these audio type fuse block holders aren't too good under the hood. So I upgraded to a MEGA fuse block holder with a 150A fuse. Got everything put back together today and no more smoke. It'll drive me nuts though for a couple weeks every time I drive it. I'll be watching to make sure I don't see more smoke.

I also replaced the ignition switch, just for piece of mind, since those tend to fail on these cars. So much that Ford did a recall on them at some point. Glad I checked. Here's what I found when I removed it.

0_0_c115e9b6ba1d57d3a60ae68d23c82a96_1

So, after a couple of near smokey/fire scares, I'm upgrading my insurance to collector's insurance in the next few weeks. It will actually drop my insurance premium by a couple hundred a year, but I'd rather have the car insured for a set value rather than leaving it up to "the book".

OMG that is shocking! Look how clean and smooth your hands are?!! You sure you wrench on your own car? lol

Good preventative maintenance with the ignition switch, looks like it was going to leave you stranded sooner rather than later.

They're clean since I haven't been working on the car for several weeks. As far as smooth, my wife would probably disagree.

Got the rest of my Father's Day maintenance items installed, and fixed the rear bumper trim underneath the gas door. Filling up a couple weeks ago, in a rush trying to make it to the airport, I put the little tab down on the nozzle so it would just kick off when the tank was full. Whether it's just an issue with the filler neck on my car, or something else I don't know, but when it kicked off a couple tablespoons of gas shot out and fell down the side of the car. This took the paint off the trim with it. So I taped everything off and sanded it down, wiped it off with wax/grease remover and then sprayed it with a couple coats of SEM trim paint. Looks good as new.

0_0_15a98d9dc79e72de1f90ba3e237fb104_1

0_0_8697a7a6d8c5300d56159993eab0142e_1

Now for the maintenance items...

I swapped in a new set of Motorcraft spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. I'm glad to have the blue of the Ford Racing wires out of the engine bay finally and have it back to a nearly stock looking bay. I found a guy with a coil cover I'm going to go pick up tomorrow, so hopefully I can get that installed tomorrow afternoon.

The plug in cylinder #8 wasn't even tight. I put the socket on it and it started spinning freely right away. First thought was that it was stripped, but the new one threaded in and tightened up just fine. I always heard a ticking from the driver's side of the engine bay, wonder if that will be gone now. You can see all the oil over the plug in the below photo. Car runs a little smoother now as well.

FoxMustangLvr - Look! A little dirt on my hands!

0_0_2d479e25d140e72ff4fbe61ca1ba6f11_1

0_0_46ece5c1a5cf769ab4f48329e6729ba6_1

I swapped out my existing taillight lenses for a set of refurbished LX ones. Mine were in OK shape, but not fantastic.

The right one seems a little cockeyed up at the license plate, but I've messed with it and messed with it and that's just how it sits.

Didn't read all of the replies to this issue, but just in case:

It's not your lens that is cocked, but rather your bumper cover has a bent metal True-Support Strip , which makes the lens look cocked. People knee-up on these bumpers, getting things out of the hatch, not knowing they will deform the metal True-Support Strip running just below the top edge of the cover.

0_0_457bae65b383063611e14f5e6eee0648_1

One Fix: Take off cover and re-arc the True-Support Strip to it's original shape.

BTW, did you make it to Colorado? (I have to catch up on your build!)