Build Thread 1990 Lx 5.0 Restomod Build

I picked up a new set of Cobra R's just days before I moved from Florida. Other than that, nothing has happened with the car. We had been prepping for our move to Colorado, living in temporary housing for a few weeks, and just got to Colorado about a week ago.

I had the car shipped and it arrived last Tuesday, in an enclosed trailer nonetheless. Evidently the carrier had a spot on an enclosed trailer so they loaded it onto that. I used ABCAutoTransport and everything went very smoothly.

After I get the rest of the boxes unpacked in the house, and get the garage squared away, things might start happening with the car again although I suspect house projects are going to take a priority for awhile.

Pic of the car with the "new" wheels...
0_0_65f0f371bd25434a7dbf4e9459aee593_1

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Didn't read all of the replies to this issue, but just in case:

It's not your lens that is cocked, but rather your bumper cover has a bent metal True-Support Strip , which makes the lens look cocked. People knee-up on these bumpers, getting things out of the hatch, not knowing they will deform the metal True-Support Strip running just below the top edge of the cover.

0_0_457bae65b383063611e14f5e6eee0648_1

One Fix: Take off cover and re-arc the True-Support Strip to it's original shape.

BTW, did you make it to Colorado? (I have to catch up on your build!)
When I did my SVO, the metal was bent up on the bumper also. I welded a 12" long piece of 1" angle steel to the strip basically under each taillight area because the bumper cover was warped so bad that it wanted to pull the strip down even once it was bolted tight. Worked like a charm. Bumper is nice and staight now.

After reading thru this whole thread, I have to say you are doing a very nice job indeed!!
When you got to the stage of getting it ready to paint, I cringed. I have painted two fox body Mustangs, one last summer and one this summer. Man I absolutely hate getting these cars ready and painting them. I think I'm going to stick with the 60's Mustang's, they are much easier to deal with in my experiences!!

Clearly I haven't updated or added anything new to this thread in a LONG time, mainly because nothing new has happened with the car. I've done a few fixes in the past couple of years, gotten the car to a level where it can pass smog in Denver with flying colors, and replaced the gas tank which always had a slight leak when the car was full.

A couple of months ago I sold the Cobra R's and picked up a set of new 10th Anniversary Cobras and new rubber from American Muscle. The more I see the car out and about...the more I like the look.

image1.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Well all...this is the end of the road for this build thread. I decided a few months ago I was ready for something else, something with a bit newer technology, more of a comfortable ride and something that was just different.

So...I put the car up for sale and finally sold it yesterday afternoon.

I'm currently looking at a Canary Yellow '95 GT with 59k miles (mostly stock except for headers/exhaust, wheels and springs) or a Laser Red '98 Cobra with 43k miles that is also mostly stock except for some Saleen wheels. I've seen the '95 GT in person and it's an exceptionally clean car, nearly perfect in every way. I'm going to try and go look at the Cobra in the next few days.

We shall see...

Damn, I loved what you did with that car. Good luck on the next one.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Your LX was a super clean car, hopefully it went to a responsible adult that will take care of it. How much did it sell for?

Thanks, I hope so too. He didn't really say what his plans were for it, and I kind of didn't want to ask. Sold for $7500.

Went and looked at the 98 Cobra today that I mentioned. Super clean car, 43,000 miles, and bone stock except for a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter (which I will replace with my MGW I pulled out of the Fox before I sold it), aftermarket headlights and chrome 18" Saleen wheels. Put a deposit down on it and plan to go pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Probably not much sleep tonight...

Looks nice! Mostly stock? Lowering kit on order yet? Ha!

Mostly stock. I swapped in my MGW shifter from the Fox but that's about it. The guy I bought it from had a host of parts he gave me with it (Eibach Pro-Kit, 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax shifter). I'm thinking about putting the springs on this weekend, along with replacing the seatbelts as they no longer retract (he gave me a set of those too). The gears will probably be down the road...maybe a winter project.