Progress Thread 1990 Rebuild

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
here goes nothing. Was my dads car, then I acquired it when he passed in 2001. He had bought from my brothers friend with 25,000 miles. So I'm third owner. Now has around 70,000. Speedo is off due to 3:73 gears. Thought of selling to further a 1954 Chevy project but wife doesn't like that idea. My son just turned 12 so was entertaining the thought of restoring it for his 16th birthday. Well here's where I'm starting.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 189
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

What's your plans?

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Nothing crazy. Pull engine. Repair shock towers and frame rails. Need to drop tank and repair rear frame rails and hatch floor area. Gaskets on the engine. Fix all those ford leaks. Paint. That's all original paint and it's pretty worn on edges. Pops loved to buff it every time he washed it! New headlights. Not sure if I want to keep the saleen wing or go back to lx? Rocker has a spot of rust from when my ex brother in law installed door speakers he never put the loom back in place properly. So water ran into the rocker.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. Go back to LX wing. I just recently took my Saleen wing off. Was great in the 90's when I installed it, but now just looks weird.

I'd prob remove the hatch sun shield as well.

Here's a good frame rail kit https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FRLH780/1979-93-Mustang-LH-Oe-Style-Frame-Rail

They can also sell you floor pan stuff, though I'm not real sure about the rear floor pan. Contact @Dustin@LMR for a discount code to save you a few bucks.

Is it just the floor pan that's rotted in the rear, or did it get into the subframe as well?

The shock tower itself? I'm not sure of there being a replacement kit for it. Probably either fab a patch there or get a piece from a salvage yard.

Will you be doing the welding yourself?

God,...I feel for you. I made #1 throw away (and it was drug off and crushed) another 90 that was suffering from cancer like that,
only my son's car was farther along than your's is. I'd rather have a clean gutted shell over a complete car with serious rust.

The good thing is that there is a significant parts source for restoration of that rust so that you can completely remove the cancer and start fresh,....you'll be good as long as you can do the work. Worst case scenario, that front clip can be drilled out and replaced w/a JY donor if need be.

Ordinarily, I'd say that you might wanna consider finding a cleaner starting point, but considering the cars lineage,....I'd do what I needed to do. As for me, I'd have been happy to just get a few of the wrenches that I knew were in my fathers hands.......

If you are having to pay somebody to restore that,........it's gonna be pricey.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-16054APR/86-93-Mustang-Front-Fender-Apron-Pair-With-Factory-Holes
Thought about these. Not a bad price but a lot of drilling and welding. For a small patch needed.
Those aren't including the shock tower panel.

I used the Scott Rod fab panels myself on my red car, I'll show you a couple pictures of mine so you can see how far those panels go. BTW, this is a perfect time for you to do some smoothing and tucking in your engine bay, I mean, what the hell, you'll already be cutting and welding?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Here's a good frame rail kit https://lmr.com/item/LRS-FRLH780/1979-93-Mustang-LH-Oe-Style-Frame-Rail

They can also sell you floor pan stuff, though I'm not real sure about the rear floor pan. Contact @Dustin@LMR for a discount code to save you a few bucks.

Is it just the floor pan that's rotted in the rear, or did it get into the subframe as well?

The shock tower itself? I'm not sure of there being a replacement kit for it. Probably either fab a patch there or get a piece from a salvage yard.

Will you be doing the welding yourself?

Thanks for the tag buddy! :)

@lilbushhead let me know if there's anything I can do to help you!