1996 3.8l To 5.0 Swap

Taylor Brown

Aug 24, 2012
Arlington, Tx
Hey everyone, so as I've been progressively saving money, I've been wanting to take the Six out and put in a 5.0. I already have a Tremec T-5 installed in the car. One friend said to get a 5.0 from an Explorer. But a friend of mine has a '95 that he's possibly going to take the motor out, has the harnesses, a computer and all that as well. And that's what I really had in mind. But when my other friend said to get the engine from an Explorer, I was a tad confused. And I thought, "is it still the same, even though it's from a truck?.."

Any input would be really helpful. I haven't decided on putting any money down on a block yet. Still looking around first, before I settle on something.

Also, I'm looking to get a crate engine, basically.

Thanks all!!

• Sponsors (?)

What's up I'm currently trying to do the same on my 03 mustang. When I got info from different ppl a guy told me the engines are the same the intake my be different but its the same. He also told me that you will come out cheaper buying a motor from a let's just say explorer than a 5.0. They will over charge you just from it coming out of a 5.0. My opinion its just better to build a new motor cause you might decide to go with a supercharger or turbos later. An forced induction, nos screams rookie mistake on a high mileage engine

The question for me is, how much do you really like this particular car? There is a huge expense and considerable effort involved in making the swap, there certainly is no return on your investment in doing this. If you really like the car than go for it knowing that you will never get you money back out of it. Also, this is not a weekend project. Have reliable daily transportation lined up as you will be spending a lot of time doing this swap correctly. Next question, do you have emissions regulations in your state? If so, consider how you will comply with them after the swap. I wouldn't even consider a step in any direction until you at the very least know the road you will travel down.
In no means do I intend to come of as a smart ass here, just want to be sure that you know what you're getting into.

The question for me is, how much do you really like this particular car? There is a huge expense and considerable effort involved in making the swap, there certainly is no return on your investment in doing this. If you really like the car than go for it knowing that you will never get you money back out of it. Also, this is not a weekend project. Have reliable daily transportation lined up as you will be spending a lot of time doing this swap correctly. Next question, do you have emissions regulations in your state? If so, consider how you will comply with them after the swap. I wouldn't even consider a step in any direction until you at the very least know the road you will travel down.
In no means do I intend to come of as a smart ass here, just want to be sure that you know what you're getting into.

I've already looked into transportation and all that once it gets started, so I know. Yes I love my car dearly and that's why I want to do a swap on it. As for emissions, I'm not totally sure, that I'd have to read up on.

One think about Explores I noticed is that the intake faces the drivers side, not the passengers side.