1996 Gt Won't Reverse

Uzuetadi

Nov 29, 2016
96 GT won't reverse
Im able to shift into reverse after a couple tries but as soon as I go to reverse I just get gears scratching and move no where
I am able to shift into 1-4 but once I try to shift into 5th it doesn't go in until I let off the clutch and try again same with reverse

I'm new to this so this will be a learning experience for me and I'm really anxious to learn. Any help will be appreciated Really want to get this fixed before I get deployed overseas

If I'm not posted in the correct area please let me know

• Sponsors (?)

My brother and I just bought a 96 GT, and we were having the same issue with reverse as well. He is new to driving stick so he was having the same issue. What I have found with reverse with these cars is this; first off they don't have any sychros for reverse is what the previous owner told me, so you have to run it through 1st and 2nd a couple of times before getting it into reverse. The second thing that I noticed is that you have to make sure its fully into reverse. My brother kept having this problem where he would pull the shifter back to the reverse position and thought it was in gear but it actually wasn't all the way in gear. So just make sure that you feel it slip all the way into gear. As far as 5th gear goes I'm not sure what to tell you, could be an issue with the synchros