Roush 1997 #121 Deep Violet - Make me an offer.

ponyguy

Apr 16, 2003
Chicago
I know this is not the classifieds, but I figure I might have better luck here.

1997 Saleen #121

Car is all original without original Saleen wheels which were sold by previous owner. Currently has 2003 Cobra AFS replicas in average shape with new Kuhmo's with about 5000 miles. Car is non-supercharged and has Saleen optional 3.55 Gears.

Car is Deep Violet Metallic which is a rare color for 96 and 97 Mustangs in General. There are only 19 Saleens ever in this color if I remember (Sal will correct me I know). This is the only one with a Gray interior if that stuff matters to you.

Car had some cosmetic paint work from previous owner, no structure damage. Near as I can tell, front passenger fender got dented. Due to difficult paint matching, whole side of car was sprayed which also involved front and rear bumper covers since they wrap around the side. Excellent work, and I think it works out great since that whole side of the car then got new decals and 60% of car is new paint.

Car has 55K on it, all stock as it left Saleen meaning, big front sway bar and urethane bushings (just replaced), Saleen Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3.55 gears, floor mats, gauges, etc. I know of nothing mechanically wrong. Just had left rear axle seal replaced due to slow leak. Eveything works perfectly. Drivers side seat blows fuse once in a while, I haven't got around to fixing that. Gray Leather in good shape, no tears.

Oh yeah, Maximum Motorsport subframe connectors welded on.

You can confirm originality through Saleen or in the Saleen Registry, I am the third owner. This car turns a lot of heads and gets compliments everywhere I go, mechanically I'd give it a 9 of 10 as I know of nothing wrong, but it is used, body 7 of 10, excellent 5 foot car, a good detail (I am lazy) would make it an 8/9 of 10, interior 8 of 10 with no tears and all functional everything including windows, locks, A/C, Heat, lumbar support, MACH 460 Car is fully optioned.

This car was on EBAY and if you search there was quite a lot of talk on it before I bought it due to the wrong wheels and front bumper number missing. Why no one called Saleen with the Vin number at the time still puzzles me but I got a good deal at least for $12,500, well $13,500 with tax about a year and a half ago.

I don't really have any pics, Sal do you have those two I sent you. And if you can search archives I think the original Ebay photos might be out there somewhere.

I want to go back to a foxbody so I will acept all reasonable offers over $9,000.00. If you are a Saleen enthusiast who will take good care of her I might go lower knowing I could rest that she was being well looked after.

• Sponsors (?)

Sal,

You are correct, I went and drove some 5.0's and my nostalgia for them was greater than the driving experience. I forgot how much older they are and how many little things were improved with the SN-95's. I did drive a 12 second car and it made me realize I need a supercharger, but my love for my car has been restored, sometimes you have to stray a little to know what you have!

I know where you are coming from. I had an 87 GT that I did a lot to and absolutely loved. Therefore, I have a soft spot in my heart for the Fox body Mustang as well. However, one ride in one and I realize why I sold it. You sit on top of it, not "in" it. It is not nearly as wrap around/cockpit feeling as the SN95's are. And then there are the brakes. Peew, unless you change them over, they are awful! Now, the Fox body Saleen is a different story. I love those cars, and will probably own one some day (along with ol' 07b). The SA-10 that is often the "cover car" on saleenchat.com (when you click on the webboard link) is awesome. The black w/ yellow, man that is nice...

sal07b Now said:
You are correct, I guess I realized I would have to do a lot just to bring the fox up to SN95 standards and by the time you do that, might as well put the money into my car.

I had a 93 Cobra, which I did love. It was Teal, I was the 2nd owner, a nice livable fox, but yes the brakes were scary!

ponyguy said:
Why no one called Saleen with the Vin number at the time still puzzles me but I got a good deal at least for $12,500, well $13,500 with tax about a year and a half ago.might .

BTW, that isn't true... I not only talked to the original owner, I talked to Liz several times about the car. I actually was planning on driving up to MI and trailering it back when you bought it...

Wish I had room for it! I just sold 86-122 since I didn't have room for it either.

Hope it goes to a good home, it's a nice car! You will have to find someone who is really looking for one in that color. Might take a while, but it should go...

no, after looking at several cars i decided i loved my car too much to get rid of her. i am keeping it and plan on doing a bit of work to it in spring, mainly a supercharger and some good brakes.

that's right, i remeber you saying you were close to buying my car and i got a lot of information on the history from you.

Good to hear you are keeping it! I had the same feeling when I sold 86-122.
When I saw it go down the street on the trailer, I almost chased after him
to tell him to bring it back :(

In the long run, I just couldn't see turning it into a track car, it had survived
too long in great condition to rip it apart.

Not sure how crazy you want to go with 97-121... The 96-98's really need
a better set of heads and cams, ala the 99+ cars, to really wake them up.
Another alternative is to just drop in an 01 Cobra crate motor... you can buy the
entire motor for a pretty decent price, I think it's under $6K.

Let us know how you go forward!

i am contemplating various options, i have thought about the cobra crate motor, but a little more invloved. i do have a set of PI cams sitting in my closet. i will keep you posted.

I've been looking into what to do as well. Something to remember about a PI head swap. Your compression ratio will be 10.8:1. This is not good if you want to S/C the car later. Apparently the pistons are different in the 96-98, which causes the compression ratio to go up when making the head swap. The good news is that higher compression is better if you don't S/C it. Just some fuel for thought.