1998 Gt Pats Help!

VPR_KLR

Nov 12, 2002
Just picked up a 98 GT for free. It wont fire. I have read up on the PATS but am still having issues.

The vehicle was dead for about 6 months, the owner put a new battery in it, and has since lost both key fob's. he does not have an original key either, has two aftermarket pats keys he claims that both started the vehicle 6 months ago.

Turn the key on, "theft" flashes 3 times and goes out. I attempt to start it, it will crank over, but wont fire. The theft light flashes as it is cranked.

I was told by the dealer that the car has to be unlocked with the key fob once power is restored. The owner tried starting it after the battery swap and it hasn't started at all since it was last running 6 months ago.

Do I need to get a key FOB and program it and try this again or do I need new keys? He replaced both keys in December as he lost the original keys and key fobs. he said the vehicle started everytime until the battery went dead.

Any and all help is appreciated. please feel free to point out the obvious like fuses and what not. Sorry, Ive had 13 5.0s, this my first OBDII equipped mustang.

• Sponsors (?)

On the 98 and older models I believe there is a way to reset the PATS. I think you have to do something like unlock and lock the door a few times or something like that. I will try to find it...

A good locksmith can come out and make you a key. I had to have that done with my 99 Exploder. He will tell you if it is jacked up or not. Ooooor, you can buy a tuner and just by pass the pats and be done with it.