Progress Thread 1998 Gt Procharger Build--dyno And Track Numbers Inside

• Sponsors (?)

Well I think I have the car in tip top shape but we had a rain out at the track here. So I get to wait another week. Boo.

#racecarproblems.

I just had to post this.

SO I have a leaking power steering pump again (read back in the thread). This is my fourth leak. I paid to have it fixed this last time because I was at a loss for problems. Here's to hoping the shop will warranty their work.

Well the big disappointment continued. :(

12.78@111 followed by a 12.85@109. My goal for the day was 12.25 so it's got a long ways to go.

I went home after that. Lots and lots of belt slip and dust all over the front cover. My best guess is that for some crazy reason the gatorback belt slipped more than the cheapo oriellys belts do. They had a tiny bit of dust after lots of street miles and abuse. This belt made two passes and the whole front of my engine is black.

I know a stall and pi heads will net more et and mph but I still figured I'd get a good 2 sec increase from 10-12 lbs of boost. Although I only saw about 6-7 in third gear at the stripe. I'm guessing it was slipping that bad. I ran with a new vette (n/a sadly) for a while but he had me on the big end. I'm sure I surprised him as SN cars around here usually don't run.

Well the big disappointment continued. :(

12.78@111 followed by a 12.85@109. My goal for the day was 12.25 so it's got a long ways to go.

I went home after that. Lots and lots of belt slip and dust all over the front cover. My best guess is that for some crazy reason the gatorback belt slipped more than the cheapo oriellys belts do. They had a tiny bit of dust after lots of street miles and abuse. This belt made two passes and the whole front of my engine is black.

I know a stall and pi heads will net more et and mph but I still figured I'd get a good 2 sec increase from 10-12 lbs of boost. Although I only saw about 6-7 in third gear at the stripe. I'm guessing it was slipping that bad. I ran with a new vette (n/a sadly) for a while but he had me on the big end. I'm sure I surprised him as SN cars around here usually don't run.

Well I'm going to go against what I said through most of this thread and will swap heads and likely cams as well.

I'm picking up a slightly used set of stage 1 fox lake ported pi heads Friday morning. At the advice of the shop (who I think I'll let retune the car after I'm done again), They recommend ditching the trick flow cams for PI blower specific set. So more changes and LOTS more money lol. Who wants to save for a rainy day when you can build a race car (or slow street car but race car makes me feel better) hahaha

Reactions: 1 user
I also started the process of piecing together an 8 rib conversion. Using factory ford parts from 5.4 Conversion vans/trucks. I might run a tad bigger upper blower pulley since I know the 8 rib will come on harder and faster with a slightly larger crank (7 inch vs 6.67 stock). I should spin the blower about 1k slower at 6k rpm but make pretty close to the same boost as I shouldn't have any slip. And it should cure my 3rd gear issue of low boost from massive belt slip. So let the belt size games continue. Luckily I can return my extra belts I have for this set up and it looks like I have a good selection of the Green HD 8 rib belts to choose from too. Hoping to have it done by next weekend. Might be able to make another track run.

8 rib parts are showing up, fox lake heads are here and cleaned up. I'll get the 8 rib done here quickly. I still have to collect parts etc for the head swap. I don't plan on getting to it before Feb or so. We have about a month of track racing here before they close until March. I can still drive the car with decent weather well into Dec. I have family a stuff to do with the Holidays. I may start the tear down after the first.

I have trick flow stage 1 cams. I need to send them off to be properly degreed (don't trust myself). I don't see much if any benefit of swapping to a blower cam. With these heads and cams I'm already going to be making more than enough power to toss a rod out the block. (that is with 10-12 lbs of boost). I think I'm going to just save the money for now and stick with what is bought and paid for.

The question is, do I go head studs (300 bucks keep in mind) or just stick with the factory head swap kit on this build? No head gasket issues now and our 98 n2o car has been running for 7 years on pi heads and stock bolts. I am thinking of running the head swap kit and save some more cash as well.

But then again the studs are reusable and Its not if I'll need a new engine but when at these power levels.

So the heads are coming off tonight. After attempting the pulley swap (Man that ac pulley is a biatch), I realized that the front cover is seeping in a few places and needs addressed so I don't ruin belts with oil. Also the pi intake on the npi heads wasn't sealing correctly. That is where my coolant smell was coming from.

So I'm knee deep in a head swap and another grand in parts/bolts etc. I went ahead and did the studs just so I have them. 12lbs of boost and 10.5:1 compression will make for some cylinder pressures. :)

So to recap as I doubt anyone goes back over the thread.

Fox lake stage 1 heads, trick flow stage 1 cams, (comp springs etc), NPI short block, pi intake, etc etc. 8 rib belt conversion. Exhaust, etc etc. p1sc with 3 core intercooler.

It made a wimpy 340 on npi heads, 6 rib and a 3.2 upper with belt slip and boost leaks.

It is an auto car as a reminder. We are hoping to put down the magic 410-420 with ease and a soft tune with all the upgrades. I was able to run a 12.77@111 with massive belt slip at the track. I dusted a brand new belt in 2 passes (The gatorback was worse than a cheap oriellys belt)

IMG_2737.JPG

I got this far last night and gave it up. Went to bed and was back up 3 hours later for work.

IMG_2738.JPG

Here is a bit of a teaser.

I'm still having issues getting a 76mm 8 rib idler pulley that will fit the stock cover. I have a stock ford 5.4 8 rib idler and it's 90mm and won't clear the tensioner mounts, a upr 8 rib 76'mm and it was is spaced way off. And I have a stock one of course.

I got the heads and exhuast back on today. My pass side header studs to the mid pipe were messed up and I got the joy of removing It and fixing. Ugh how I hate 2v header removals.

Cams are already on their way back from mhs so I'll get the engine buttoned back up when they arrive.

No word from Procharger yet. I'll give it another week and call them if I don't hear anything.

IMG_2750.JPG

Last edited:
Well the cams will be here tomorrow and I just got a call from Procharger. They will be done in about a week. It just needed the seals replaced and all the bearings look good. They are also going to balance the impeller for free as this head unit is old and their kits com balanced now. All for the fine fee of $480. The good new is they are sending lube to help ease the pain a bit. :(

So I hope to get the engine buttoned up this weekend and all ready to mount the head unit to the bracket and on the car so I can align it for the millionth time with the new 8 rib setup.

This weekend we are also taking a turbo swapped termi to see Bob Monks at St L mustangs. That should be a good time. Corn fed and 25psi on a built motor should make for a decent number.