Progress Thread 1998 Gt Procharger Build--dyno And Track Numbers Inside

Well everything is tore down to bare block etc. I'll try to get some pretty pics up soon. Sadly as I expected the short block looked brand new and had no signs of wear on them. So we had a ring issue that was not visible to the naked eye.

So I'll get the block, crank, rods (termi rods/pistions) checked, balanced etc. Then start the reassembly process.

Since I want to go long tubes I'll likely splurge and do a tubular K for clearance and some weight savings.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

IMG_0086.JPG

I seem to be taking more stuff off of the car than installing here recently.

New upr k member is on order.

I did some soldering as well to fix a few things I was not happy about. Also wired in the iat to the maf vs using th separate in the stock configuration.

I dropped the Heads off today to be gone through and the block and such is all at the machine shop. My car is scattered across two states now. :)

Aiming for the second weekend in Feb to reassemble everything pending it all arrives in time. I still need to make a decision on cams, I'm leaning towards Cushman 2.5 blower cams. I'll call Monks and get his input as well. I also need to make a final decision on long tubes (leaning ceramic coated mac's) and what size of injector (60 or 80's).

IMG_0096.JPG
Going to get this guy squared up today. Hoping I don't have to slot openings. I also was hopefully able to correctly press out and swap the stock bushings so I can reuse my stock control arms and springs I have for now. A poor mans k member swap. :)

I'll get the control arms in today then sometime this week I'll get the trans to the builder for new better clutches and an overall inspection.

Monks wants 80lbs injectors and me to call Todd Warren for custom cams.

So another update:

The heads are done. Unfortunately I cheaped out initially and didn't get my used heads checked out before running them. Instead I took the speed shops word for it (They will remain unnamed).

The intake seat on the bad cylinder was warped. So we may have taken apart a good short block that just had a bad seat and blown head gasket (no idea why yet).

Regardless we are still getting custom cams from Todd Warren, a built 4r70 and lots of other upgrades to let it eat. It's only money. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Setbacks are part of any large scale build. It's good your catching them and remedying as much as you can while it's apart. You're going to like the end result. Still a long road but keep the faith. Speed gods are smiling.

Been a few weeks since my last update. Block, crank, rods/pistons are back from the machine shop. The heads are ready. I'm still waiting on the cams to arrive. I ordered the bearings, rings, and all tools needed to build the short block and degree the cams (there goes 500+ bucks). I don't mind spending the money on the tools as I'll always own them now.

Hoping to get after it and build the engine on the week of the 11th of Feb if possible.

I need to rat hole some more cash to build the trans, still need to order headers/mid pipe and need injectors. That is all I'm missing.

Headers, mid pipe and injectors (frpp 80#'s) ordered today. I got my large summitt racing order last night. Turns out when I thought I ordered rod bearings, I ordered one set, not a full 8 rods. Oops. I ordered a full set from MHS as they were much cheaper at $119 vs $28 per rod from summitt.

Now it's just a waiting game as the cams are no here yet (Todd Warren custom grinds) and I need to rat hole about $500 more for the trans build.

I'm shooting for late March for a dyno appt with Monks again. Maybe sooner but there are not a lot of races/events prior to then so I won't be missing much. Other than 4 months on jack stands.

Go team jack stands!

IMG_0159.JPG
Crank is in. Rings are filled. Too bad I goofed up my bearing order and only got one rod worth vs a whole set. I'll have the pistons in this week.

I'm waiting on the cams and that's it motor wise.

Injectors, headers and mid pipe will be here this week

Now the doozy. I think I'm going to go t56 swap. I don't want to drive a full manual valve body with externally controlled torque converter lockup on the street. Way more fun factor in the f56

IMG_0168.JPG
Ordering parts and waiting always sucks. I'm mr I want it and I want it now.

So I was super excited to know my injectors were coming in today and it would be one more item checked off my list.

Much to my surprise I am only 7/8 checked off. So now I get to wait for lmr and frpp to decide when to send me the missing injector.

Just shows if it can happen to me it will. Hahaha. Headers mid pipe and cams are still out.

Lmr.com is pretty good about getting things right. They should do right by you. I get the impatience though.

Few years back, went to a real nasty place in my mind while waiting for some upr upper sprung perches. Garrr! Messed me around twice....angry.