Resolved 2.3 not running

Threads that have been [Resolved] by the OP or Moderator

waxman

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 6, 2004
central il
hello,i have an 88 lx,2.3 l that is giving me fits. it will run after several attempts. i put new pickup coil in the dist,have good fuel press,spark at dist but it looses it going to plugs, have tried different coil,tfi,coil wire,so no luck. hopefully some one has had this happen. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Run the codes. Search how to get codes.
Screenshot_20231016_010301_Chrome.jpg

hello,i have an 88 lx,2.3 l that is giving me fits. it will run after several attempts. i put new pickup coil in the dist,have good fuel press,spark at dist but it looses it going to plugs, have tried different coil,tfi,coil wire,so no luck. hopefully some one has had this happen. thanks
ignition coil! check that the two wires are connected properly, I think I had the same issue as you, I did some maintenance and then the car wouldn't run for more than a second or two every couple start attempts, because I had accident pulled out one of the coil power wires, it sorta ran because it was arcing from the connecter to the terminal. and like General Kartheif said, there's always codes, try a engine running code test if you can get it to run long enough, they usually put out a different set of codes if you can manage to do the test. if not.... verify everything's connected and sending and receiving power. seems like your issue resides in the roots of the ignition system.

well after all the checking of thing,i put a new eec relay in it,runs fine. i had good fuel press,spark,it would just die.i even tried a new computer..so for its running fine.glad i got it fixxed

Reactions: 1 user
After 35 years the contacts in the ECU relay tend to corrode which causes all kinds of running issues. Pulling codes won't point specifically to that. I had the same issue in my '93 5.0 Mustang. A new relay solved the problem.