2001 Mustang Gt Vs 2006 Cobalt Ss

JustinGT

Apr 30, 2015
buffalo
Alright so I'm new here... I have a 2001 mustang gt automatic. The mods I have are a cold air intake and a magnaflow catback also 285 tires on the back. I have a friend with a 2006 Cobalt ss with a Cai and a welded on flowmanster 40... he got the car and its running 15 pounds of boost stock. he wants to go to the local 1/8mile strip this summer. What are my chances to win? Are their any cheaper mods I can do to get a greater advantage? I want to stay away from gears because I take the highway to college. Also this is my summer car and I'm open ears to any input you guys have. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

If you had a 5 speed manual then I'd say they're close enough that it could go either way. But the auto GTs are much slower than the 5sp GTs...at least thats how I feel about it. I'd give him the advantage, sorry. But if he isn't a good driver, or if he screws up, then you should be able to take him. I recommend getting a canned tune. It'll get you a bit more hp and tq and it'll make the car shift noticeably faster and harder. With all bolt-ons you should be able to get to the low 14s high 13s. My 03 with all bolt-ons was doing 14.1s consistently. Different car, different track, different DA, different driver, and you might be able to get a better time in yours.

I don't think a mostly stock auto 2v will be able to put up much of a fight. Not to come off as a dick but its just the truth, 15lbs of boost will make that SS scoot. Only thing I can say is to get a 75-100hp shot of nitrous installed or get 4.10 gears full exhaust a tune and good tires.

He's going to smoke you. Unless, he completely flubs his launch & misses 2nd gear. Cobalt SS's & Dodge Neon SRT4's were really quick for their time & I've seen or been a part of many battles with them over the years. Those little :poo:boxes can hold their own, especially when they start cranking up the boost. Definitely keep us posted & good luck to you.

Alright a ran a 10.2 and that was with my dad and the sound system in my car.(8thmile) my reaction time was .8849 my friend chickened out but he said he will go next wed. Should be close since he has no raceing experience

I'm going to get nos and slicks when I get the money. Tonite should be the race if he agrees. This time I will be the only one in the car and I will take out my sub system and my spare tire... I will come back with the results tomarrow :) (also this time I only have a 1/4 tank)

I'm going to get nos and slicks when I get the money. Tonite should be the race if he agrees. This time I will be the only one in the car and I will take out my sub system and my spare tire... I will come back with the results tomarrow :) (also this time I only have a 1/4 tank)
Save the big burn outs for the drag radials. Your street radials will turn to grease if you burn em too much. Drive around the water box, give them a 1-2 second spin, just to clean the tread off, then walk it out of the hole. Don't bother fooling with the tire pressure either. Keep it around 30psi and ride the clutch out. That'll get your 60ft times down.

To the people saying that auto's are slower :nonono::nonono:

You guys must not drag race often. Yes, an auto eats more HP and therefore less of it reaches the rear wheels.....but the difference is negligible. I wont even mention the fact that a manual driver needs to be a pretty damn good driver to out-drive an auto. Go out to your local track whenever they host a serious track event and see how many of the sub 10-sec cars are auto or stick....

Second, 06 Cobalts were SC cars if Im not mistaken. The SC Cobalts are trash. He's also on stock boost with street tires and FWD.

Run him! Air your tires down to 12-13psi. Have a friend pour a little bit of Dr. Pepper in front of your rear wheels before you do the burnout. Give her a short 2-sec burnout to get the tires warm and to give the traction compound (Dr. P) some time to adhere. Leave on the 2nd yellow and keep the pedal to the metal!

Second, 06 Cobalts were SC cars if Im not mistaken. The SC Cobalts are trash. He's also on stock boost with street tires and FWD.

Run him! Air your tires down to 12-13psi. Have a friend pour a little bit of Dr. Pepper in front of your rear wheels before you do the burnout. Give her a short 2-sec burnout to get the tires warm and to give the traction compound (Dr. P) some time to adhere. Leave on the 2nd yellow and keep the pedal to the metal!

Pre-2008 they were supercharged, but after that they got a turbo and 260hp

....and dropping air pressure down to 12-13psi on stock radials will hurt, more than help IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
12-13 is too little. Depending on the tire 25 is the lowest I'd use but 30 (as suggested) is a good starting point.

And in stock form I've not seen an auto new edge come close to out running a stick car pending both were average drivers.

I"m an "above" average driver and my stock 5 sp 04 would paddle a complete bolt on auto car. Stop, roll it didn't matter on those two. (Man was my buddy upset when we finally did let them lose after months of him talking smack lol). The gap gets worse in fox bodies with AOD's (my car might run a 15.5 while a stock t5 car runs 14.5 all day long)

12-13 is too little. Depending on the tire 25 is the lowest I'd use but 30 (as suggested) is a good starting point.

And in stock form I've not seen an auto new edge come close to out running a stick car pending both were average drivers.

I"m an "above" average driver and my stock 5 sp 04 would paddle a complete bolt on auto car. Stop, roll it didn't matter on those two. (Man was my buddy upset when we finally did let them lose after months of him talking smack lol). The gap gets worse in fox bodies with AOD's (my car might run a 15.5 while a stock t5 car runs 14.5 all day long)

Listen to the guy who runs 14's instead of the guy who runs 10's lol

Alright it rained here so it will be next wed. If the weather holds up... I'm not doing any big burnouts. I'll spin a little to get the rocks and stuff off. Idk if his 15lbs of boost is stock... He got the car like that. I'll post my time as soon as I run... If I get him on the tree I should get him. (Btw my dad drags a chevelle ss stroker and runs 7's) in the 8th so he teached me pretty well haha. I'll post later this week. Also do you think I should launch from 1500 rpm? Or what?