2001 Mustang V6 Stuttering, Lagging During Acceleration

Joshuaachury

Apr 28, 2015
Indiana
Hey y'all so I'm fairly new here but I have an issue that I need to get resolved as my Mustang seems have to have a significant loss of power. It works well when the throttle is less than halfway in, but as soon as I push it farther than that or floor it the RPMs does not increase as fast as they should and the engine starts to stutter. It's not really a big issue as I am not racing or anything and it works well for just driving around town. But I want to know what the issue is and if I can fix it. This one happened recently as it was working well before.

The only major work that I have done is change the passengers side exhaust manifold since it got broken. It doesn't seem like there is an exhaust leak and everything sounds good. It only happens when I floor it or try to accelerate fast.

Does anyone have any experience with this or can help me?

The engine light is on and I am looking forward to getting some codes to see if I can diagnose the problem.

• Sponsors (?)

Check COP's and Spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter. Any codes????
Yeah I have narrowed the problem down to either misfiring or dirty fuel injectors and a problem with the spark plugs. I have yet to check those. Yes there are two codes, P0171 and P0174, which code for the fuel system running too lean. I want to narrow the problem down further before I just start spending money on changing those parts.

I had all kinds of fuel codes and same problems.... fuel codes had nothing to do with it my MAF sensor was bad, all I did was clean it and the electrical connection. still have codes but car runs fine. most people have a bad MAF at some point and a cleaning will not always fix it.

and after re reading your post the hesitation and stuttering on acceleration sounds like MAF mine even back fired twice under acceleration now it runs fine even better with sct tuner =) *you will need specific cleaners for the MAF or you could damage it

Last edited:
In case anyone in the future has this problem. I changed the ignition coil. The part is like around 90$ and it takes like 15 minutes to change. This not only fixed my stuttering problem during acceleration but also made a big impact on the car.