2002 Cougar: fuel pressure regulator?

Hey guys,
My wife and I sold her 2002 Mercury Cougar a couple of days ago. It was running perfectly for us. However, the buyer drove it about 40 miles and it started shutting off and threw the check engine light. Well, the girl loves the car and wants to keep it, but only if we can fix it. So we handed the check back, got the keys back, and now I need to fix it for her.

I took the car to AutoZone to check the codes, it threw one for fuel rail pressure sensor circuit malfunction or something like that, so basically it has a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Question: Where is the fuel pressure regulator?? Is it hard to change on these cars? I can order the sensor for like $30, but I have no idea where it is or how to put it in.

Can someone please point me on the right track here? The car has the DOHC 2.5 in it.

Thanks a lot!

• Sponsors (?)

Apparently there is a FPR on there though, I just ordered one yesterday. At the parts store the computer showed a picture of it and it's a ufo-looking piece. Things are pretty tight under the hood, but I'll look all along the fuel rail and see if I can find it.

What sort of steps should I take before changing it? How do I relieve the fuel pressure? Do I need to?

Fuel pressure is usually relieved via a Schrader valve on the rail. Keep a rag handy to catch the spilled fuel. You'll also likely need the small plastic fuel line uncoupling tools to remove the line, in order to access the sensor.

You might want to try PM'ing svttech76 about the specifics. He's probably more familiar with the exact layout than most and will be able to give you a solid answer to your question.

Ok I looked at the trouble code again and asked another mechanic about it and yeah it looks like that sensor is my problem after all.

I gotta find out where to buy one now. Autozone doesn't cary anything called a "fuel rail pressure sensor." All they have is a fuel tank pressure sensor, and I dont think that's it, is it? Advance is the same way. Maybe this has to be gotten from the dealership?

I hope I'm not to late to help you out. you have a 2.5ltr v6 same motor that is in a contour and 90% close to my svt contour motor. the fpr is located on the fuel rail under the intake manifold and will require you to remove it. these manifolds are not that hard to remove the trickiest part is getting out the 2 black vacuum lines out of the top off it w/o breaking them. you can feel free to pm me and I can walk you through the removale and the other gaskets you would need to get, pretty easy job.

if I'm to late hope all went well.