Engine 2002 Gt Coyote Swap

Rcmelton0615

Jan 3, 2017
Hey guys im an 18 year old from nc. I have a 2002 gt mustang 5spd as a project. I have 2 jobs. 1 full time and one part time. My full time job pays 10 bucks and hour + commission. The part time pays 13 bucks an hour. I am in the stage where i am confused where to start. I want to have my mustang repainted, the underbody sandblasted and then swapped with a t-56 transmission and a 5.0 coyote. Now idk if i should just buy a 2014 5.0 or build my 02. The 02 is my favorite body style and its in my name. So what would you all do in my shoes???? Sorry im new to the forum. I apologize if i seem like im ignorant on the subject. How much do you guysthink it would cost for my stang to be built like that???? Just a general idea. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    751.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Sponsors (?)

$7k for the crate motor
$1.7k for the harness and computer
$260 for the alternator kit
$530 for long tubes
$400 for K-member
$1000ish for the rest of the exhaust if using cats
$500ish for dyno-tune
$2Kish for misc sensors and doo-dads (plugs, wires, motor mount, shims, fluids, consumables, etc).
$1000ish for braking system components
$2-$3k to have someone else install it all and tune it (subtract tuning cost from above)

I'm sure that I've left some things out.

Reactions: 1 user
I, like you, prefer this body style, having owned several from 2011 back. Now, I am not sure of the cost, but I would think you can find something like an 03/04 Cobra drivetrain that would fit easier and still provide the power you are looking for. It might be a bit of a trade off of slightly less power for a less costly mod. My 02 manual GT vert has about 80,000 miles now but I am considering trading it for the 03/04 Cobra convertible to void the swapping issues.

The coyote swap is awesome but costly / labor intensive.

If you like what you have but want to be in coyote territory.... slap a blower on your current GT - way cheaper then buying a new mustang.

Your current drivetrain / motor has tons of potential - add good parts and build it. Stock motor and transmission (upgrade your clutch) are both good to the 400rwhp range. Both can be built to as crazy as you want.

Reactions: 1 users
All good information posted, I'll just add a little.

It all depends on what you want and your current situation. If you mustang is your only means of transportation then it's pretty much not a realistic project. Even if you collected all the parts before hand, the car will more than likely be out of commission for a few weeks. If you have other means of transportation as well as the time and money and just want something different, then go for it. But like Dark04 said above, it's more realistic to put on a power adder and get in the 400's. Put on one that has more potential than what you need, then on the side build an engine that can support more power. When all is said and done, you will have more power then what you need on the street anyway, for a lot less money and work than what a coyote swap would be.

considerably cheaper and easier. For a first major project, time and money will be his friend. if he have generous amounts of both then, go for the 5.0! Either way, post progress pics along the way and keep us informed! That's just my .02

Last edited: