2003 Door A Panels

Vettn71

Advanced Member
Jan 3, 2014
I just put 2003 door panels in my 1995 GT. They fit well, but there is a 1/2" gap between the door panel and the triangular filler. I was thinking maybe these came off a car with Mach 460 system? What would be the best way to fix this?

tIA

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know if the filler panel is any differently sized than a Mach 460 speaker housing. It would stand to reason they were the same size to avoid having multiple door panels configurations. I'd compare your old panels to the new one to see if there are dimensional differences. You could then go looking for the triangular panels for 2003 and see if those are any bigger.

If you post a photo I could give you ideas for some hacks if that's more up your alley. Black foam weatherstripping is at the top of my list.

I can post one tomorrow. Looking at it again the gap is quite large. The door panel doesn't seem to narrow down the way the 95 door panels did. Other than that they fit spot on

Jim

The Mach 460 door panels simply have a notch cut out of the top, to allow for the larger tweeter. Here's a recent eBay auction showing the top of the door panel that does not have the Mach 460 installed:

1994 95 96 98 99 04 Mustang Gray Door Panel Panels Ford GT Cobra 032213C | eBay

And another eBay auction with the top part cut out for the Mach 460 tweeters:

1994 95 96 98 99 04 Mustang Tan Door Panel Panels Ford GT Cobra 031315F | eBay

You could simply cover the gap with something, maybe pick up a bit of vinyl from a fabric store..

Good catch Chythar, I can see a bit of a difference. It looks like the notching is for the base of the tweeter assembly.

1999 2004 Mustang Door Tweeters Speakers Mach Audio System Pair | eBay

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Ford didn't make the triangular cover big enough to cover the Mach assembly and instead trimmed the door skins differently. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever need replacements.

Chythar

That's the gap I see on my door panels. This is a photo

20150503_164035_zpsa2ykonat.jpg

Since it's because of the Mach sound system, maybe I'll see if I can find some Mach speaker grills as not put anything in them.

Thanks for th ehelp

Jim

Found a set of Mach 460 tweeters in fine shape I can mount in the gap. $50 on the bay. Maybe someone can explain how I might make these functional, since I'm putting them in

Thanks again, y'all.

Regards

Jim

Yup, that's the notch for the Mach 460 tweeters. I don't know how to make the tweeters work without the rest of the Mach 460 system, so I can't help you there. But if your car came with Premium Sound from the factory, you may have some of the Mach 460 wiring in place. Follow the wiring for the door speakers back into the door, and you might find another speaker connector taped up to the wiring harness. For the Mach 460 systems, the plug taped to the harness goes to the door speaker and the plug that was originally on the door speaker goes to the tweeter.