Brakes 2003 V6 Front Brake Pads

Joemustang

Jun 14, 2015
I am installing front brake pads on my 2003 V6 Coupe with dual piston calipers. Can anyone tell me how to identify the inner and outer pads? Unfortunately, I didn't take note when removing them and there is no information regarding inner and outer in the Ford factory shop manual, nor in my Haynes shop manual. One set of pads has two locating pins towards the outer ears, whereas on the other set of pads the pins are
closer to the bottom of the pad. I think the pads with the pins closer to the ears came out of the inboard side (that is, up against the pistons, engine block side); and the pads with the pins to the bottom came from the outer (that is, to the curb side). Also, I noticed one of the pads had a paper gasket on the back and when I bought the new pads, Raybestos PGD804C, no gaskets were in the box. Are these gaskets necessary and if so, where can I buy them? Any help would be much appreciated.
brake pads3.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I am installing front brake pads on my 2003 V6 Coupe with dual piston calipers. Can anyone tell me how to identify the inner and outer pads? Unfortunately, I didn't take note when removing them and there is no information regarding inner and outer in the Ford factory shop manual, nor in my Haynes shop manual. One set of pads has two locating pins towards the outer ears, whereas on the other set of pads the pins are
closer to the bottom of the pad. I think the pads with the pins closer to the ears came out of the inboard side (that is, up against the pistons, engine block side); and the pads with the pins to the bottom came from the outer (that is, to the curb side). Also, I noticed one of the pads had a paper gasket on the back and when I bought the new pads, Raybestos PGD804C, no gaskets were in the box. Are these gaskets necessary and if so, where can I buy them? Any help would be much appreciated.
brake pads3.JPG

Hello everybody, Joemustang here. My wife found the answer to my question on the internet in a service bulletin from Raybestos - Bulletin no. PBI 05-19. It appears I have the front brake pads marked correctly. The locating pins are called shim rivets. On the inboard pads they are located at the extreme ends of the brake pad. The outboard pad has the two rivets placed closer together. Apparently, if the brake pads are placed in the reverse order, the rivets will interfere with the pistons reducing brake performance and may cause low brake pedal. As far as the paper gaskets, they are called insulators. Evidently they are used on the assembly line but apparently are not necessary as I cannot find them in any of the Ford parts suppliers or major part vendors (NAPA, Auto Zone, etc. ) and as I said earlier, there is no mention of them in the Ford factory shop manual. Thank you for looking.