2005 Gt Purchase With Bad Clutch

BayaniX

Oct 7, 2016
I'm looking at an 05 GT with 226k miles. The body, paint and interior are in very good shape--although it does have a repaired fender from a previous accident. The engine runs fine, but the car won't run b/c of a completely thashed clutch. The car has a clean title. Asking price is $3500. Is this worth it? What else should I be looking for?

Thx,
JB

• Sponsors (?)

That's a lot of miles especially for a car that is beaten like a marine mule. The price is good, but if the clutch is trashed, what are the engine/ transmission/ differential condition. Maybe the owner didn't fix the clutch, because they didn't want you to see other items. It might be worth spending $200.00 or so and have a mechanic do a full inspection. These engines can go way over 300k, but not if they've led a hard life. If your guys not hiding anything he'll let you take it to a shop for inspection. If not look for another one. My 2 cents from the old Moose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lot of miles especially for a car that is beaten like a marine mule. The price is good, but if the clutch is trashed, what are the engine/ transmission/ differential condition. Maybe the owner didn't fix the clutch, because they didn't want you to see other items. It might be worth spending $200.00 or so and have a mechanic do a full inspection. These engines can go way over 300k, but not if they've led a hard life. If your guys not hiding anything he'll let you take it to a shop for inspection. If not look for another one. My 2 cents from the old Moose!

Thanks for the advice!

I hope to see the car tomorrow or some time soon, so I'll be able to see if he'll be willing to take it in for a inspection. The only possible saving grace is that it was supposedly used as a "commuter" but I can't be sure. I'm by no means a mechanic but while im down there (a 2.5 hour drive there and back), anything I should look for? I'd hope to make the most out of a visit if I'm driving that far to see a car...

Fire it up, I'm assuming it runs, take oil fill cap off, look for smoke coming out, bad if it does, piston ring/ cylinder blow by. Shut off car pull dipstick, oil should not be milky color, if it is has a blown head gasket. Crawl around under car, look for oil leaks. Same under hood, no leaks is good. Run engine observe, no ticking, no knocking, no rough idle. Let car cool, pull coolant cap make sure coolant is clean, full where it's supposed to. You can't drive car, [bad], their can be all kinds of things. Look for any funky looking wiring under hood, or inside cab. Remember if a car or truck is crappy looking inside and out, usually the rest is. If your happy with checks, take it to a mechanic. Pick your own is his area. Call ahead. His might be on his side. Get an unbiased opinion. Oh yeah fire car look at dash check engine light should come on then shut off. Same with other lights like oil, battery.

My 06 GT has 217,000 miles, I still drive it over 80 miles a day during the week. I bought it new, here it all it has needed (Besides oil changes and the like)
Front brakes tend to last me over 100,000 miles.
Rear brakes last 80,000 (Strange, all my other vehicles, the rear brakes outlast the front in a big way).
Alternator replaced at 210,000.
I run the Champion 7989 spark plugs - 100,000 seems to work fine with them.
Rear axle seal - 215,000 miles. Did both sides and bearings while I was there.
Driveshaft seal on the manual transmission - just started (217,000). Note that when the fluid is low because of this, you get a rattle that sounds like an exhaust rattle, but it isn't. So fill it quick, because it can't be good for the transmission. Took me quite a bit of time to find that rattle, but it went away when I filled it. I'll flush the fluid when I replace the seal.
Blower motor resistor - replaced twice.
Tie Rod Ends (Inner and Outer) at 195,000.
Needs strut mounts now too.

Everything else (Except aftermarket exhaust) is factory stock/original. So a pretty rock solid car. My clutch still working well, so I can't comment on replacing it yet, but I will do it myself. If I could pick one up for my kids at $3500, I'd probably take the chance. If you drop another $1000 in it over a year (Clutch and whatever else you may find) you would have still made a good deal in my mind. Only worry would be if the transmission nears work. But as Sparta said, that could be a problem on any car. Any "good running" car could have bad syncros and stuff, so I still think I'd take the chance.

Hey all,
thanks again for all the help. Turns out, the car sold before I got to see it but oh well. I really appreciate everyone's feedback, I'll definitely use this info when looking for another one.
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user