Drivetrain 2005 Mustang V6 Automatic Transmission Drain Bolt Length

ituba

Sep 26, 2016
Does anyone know the length of the transmission drain plug (without the head) in a 2005 Mustang V6? The car has the 5R55S automatic transmission. The Ford part number is 6r3z-7a010-a. To be clear, the dimension I am asking about is the one called length on this diagram:

http://www.billavista.com/atv/Articles/Nuts_Bolts_and_Fasteners/images/XOM-A1-Fig 1.jpg

If you are curious why I am asking such a question, here is the explanation. I have a friend in Hungary who owns the 2005 Mustang V6 in question. Getting parts for it over there is tricky/expensive, so I often buy parts for him here in the USA and send them over. He wants to change his transmission fluid. When he pulled the drain plug, he found that the previous owner replaced the special plug with a regular bolt. The plug is of course essential for setting the level of the fluid correctly. So he asked me to get one for him. None of the local Ford dealerships had the part in stock. We needed the part on short notice because my mom was traveling to Hungary and she was going to take it with her. I went to a few local junkyards, found no suitable Mustang, so I pulled the drain plug out of a 2004 Lincoln LS. These have the same transmission, but not the same drain plug as the Mustang. I guess because Ford put a different oil pan on the transmission. The drain plug has since made its way to Hungary. This is a nice long 36 mm bolt. I suspect the Mustang's is shorter. But we need to know the exact spec for the Mustang drain plug so he can cut the Lincoln LS plug he has down to that size.

Thanks for helping,

Imre

• Sponsors (?)