2005 Mustang V6's Christine Impression

Sirpug

Jul 8, 2016
Hi everybody, long time Mustang fan, first time owner.

I just bought a 2005 Mustang V6 with 110,000 that is stock with the exception of the wheels and stereo. I plan to change that over the next year but for now I bought it with a few known issues. One of those issues was that the fuel gauge is reporting way off. After researching on here I'm leaning towards the stepper motor because the computer seems to have an accurate reading for it's calculations (running a tank of Chevron 89 with Seafoam through it now too).

However, during my troubleshooting I had an occurrence that left me scratching my head (I am a licensed airplane mechanic and have been working on cars since I was about 14 so I like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable) and I can't find anything on here about it so I thought I'd throw it out there for the experts.

During my T/S'ing I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes to see if that would reset the gauge (as I read it had in some cases). It didn't work but I was headed to bed so I thought "what the hell" and left the battery disconnected over night. When I hooked it up this morning though I listened as the car went through it's checks and then she started up all by herself. Admittedly I was a bit surprised as the keys were in my pocket and the door was still locked. I got in and cycled the key a few times but she kept running (everything was running as if I had started it with the key). When I put my foot on the break she shut off and started again as normal. I drove her to work, stopping for gas along the way, and started her a few time here with no issues.

Any, sorry for the long first post. I just wanted to make sure the situation was clear so I could get good advice. I'm really hoping this is a normal power on cycle when they've been sitting without battery power for awhile.

• Sponsors (?)