2006 V6 Spits Out Coolent, Temp Ok

StatesByStang

Sep 7, 2015
hi,
My "new" 2006 v6 doesn't indicate any overheating but spits out about 1 -2 pints coolent after a long drive to nearly empty the overflow tank.
If I don't refill to indicated level when cold, it seems to run fine. No more loss of coolent.
Any suggestions for the cause and cure? Also, am I storing up any problems by running it with slightly less than the recommended coolent levels? And is it possible to get the electric cooling fan to kick in manually or at a slightly lower temp?
Any help much appreciated,
StatesByStang

• Sponsors (?)

Can you see where the leak is coming from?

If not, I would get a coolant pressure tester and find the leak.

Thanks BP, will try your advice. In the meantime, the the advice from a local Ford dealership, after more than an hour of diagnostics is that there is a head gasket leak with possible but as yet unconfirmed damage to one or both heads. So$$$$$.
Waiting to get more detail from them on precisely what they found and the fixed cost of each stage of damage and repair from one gasket only to full two new heads. I will post outcome.

Last edited:
Keep us informed!

If there is a leak in the cylinder head you would see white smoke from the exhaust or "milky" oil on the dipstick. Another sign is pressure in the cooling system. You would hear a bubbling sound when you turn the car off.

Good luck!
Thanks again, BP.
No white smoke but will try again early in the morning before the day gets warm.
No 'milky' or 'chocolatey froth' on dipstick.
And no email response from the local Ford Dealer who promised a detailed email with costs by yesterday evening!!
Will post any news - good, good-ish or bad!!
SbS