2007 Mustang Rough Grinding In Brake After Changing Rotors,could It Be The Sway Bars?

skeev88

Aug 13, 2010
About a month ago I took my 2007 Mustang into Ford for some issues, clunking noise from front end and what sounded like a rotor problem on my passenger front wheel that made a sound like a basketball thumping when I would brake, especially if I hit a bump while braking. The tech recommended new rotors due to some bad spots on the one, there was an issue with the tie rods and the sway bar links were bad. I replaced the tie rods and I replaced the rotors with aftermarket rotors since I plan to sell the car in about a year. Two weeks after the work was done I started getting a rough grinding/clunking/grunting noise in my passenger front tire when braking accompanied by a pulsation in the brake pedal. I took it back to Ford and they said the rotor didn't sound right and may be defective so they replaced the rotor. Almost two weeks after that the rough grinding/clunking/grunting brake noise and pulsation returned. It seems to happen most when I brake hard, brake in a turn, or hit a small bump when braking. Ford took everything apart and cannot find anything but are speculating the because the body seems to be in motion when the grinding occurs that replacing the sway bars may fix the issue. I have seen a few topics online that point to sway bars possibly causing similar issues, but I've also seen topics online that point to aftermarket rotors being the issue. I'm on my second rotor in a month so I'm thinking it must be another issue causing this but I don't want to keep putting money into it just on speculation.

• Sponsors (?)

It's wierd, but mine was doing the same thing two years ago, sounding like a new turned finish that causes the caliper to ride up in the anchor and 'clunk' before dropping back. It went away....the rotors were not new when it happened, but I'm still hanging my hat on a surface condition. Do you have any pulsation on brake apply?