2010 Hood Oxidation

jessiesnxdr

Oct 28, 2016
Hi everyone! Came across this forum (and joined!!) while googling my problem.

Found a lot on here but they are old (from 2011) Is there any new info from Ford that might fix this problem? The problem was very small on my hood but has suddenly become HUGE problem...seems like overnight and paint is ready to chip.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes unfortunately once your past the 3yr/36K miles bumper to bumper warranty you're on your regarding this issue. Ford is apparently offering no help whatsoever for those whose cars or trucks are out of warranty. Which as a loyal Ford owner since 1984 and former Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealership service dept employee I find outrageous since there is clearly a manufacturing issue with the aluminum hoods. I guess Ford will not do anything unless their hand is forced by the courts as it was by the 3.8 V6 head-gasket debacle in the 1990's. So far as far as I know there has been one unsuccessful lawsuit against Ford over this which I saw on the news, and someone posted here a while ago about starting a class action suit but they never followed up so I have no idea where that went if anywhere.
As far as repairing it, from what I have read here on Stangnet, on other Mustang forums and various Mustang FB pages the problem often returns after stripping, sanding and respraying the hood. It seems that the only way to be 100% certain that it will not return is to go with an aftermarket fiberglass hood.Ford did put out a TSB for this problem for earlier S197s Mustang hoods. It's It doesn't apply to your year,and it doesn't provide for any additional warranty coverage past 3/36 but it does provide a repair procedure so but maybe having your body shop follow the procedure in the bulletin will work. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Came across this forum (and joined!!) while googling my problem.

Found a lot on here but they are old (from 2011) Is there any new info from Ford that might fix this problem? The problem was very small on my hood but has suddenly become HUGE problem...seems like overnight and paint is ready to chip.

My suggestion is Plasti Dip it's a very cost-effective and easy way to change the color of your car if you don't like it you can just rip it off if you want to spend a little more money there's something called autoflex that's just like a factory finish but that peelable I think they're great and I enjoyed working with them

Water creeping up underneath that front lip. The seal for that lip either a) isn't holding or b) isn't complete. I had the end of the hood repainted for $300 and sealed the lip best I can. But it is still trying to calcify. Either the hood design or painting process has some variation.

That's really not good. I hope there's no such issue on the 2014. I live in OH and see a lot of vehicles, even newer ones, with rust problems due to salt laid on the roads during snow/icy weather. I ran through a drive-in wash and had some rust zone applied. I hope it helps. I've been out here since June 2016. Feel bad for those many vehicles I see with rust all over the bottom.