2012 Base V6

kennyprost

Feb 4, 2016
OK, so I have been reading a lot of forums and unfortunately, most of the time, it is hard to decipher what is going with all the people posting “well I heard this or that, saw this or that” or “my opinion is this or that”. I don’t want this thread to be nothing but arguments on how someone else’s mods are better than yours.

What I am looking for is a good list of Bolt on Parts to really wake up and enhance my V6.

I am at this point in time purchasing primarily Ford parts as I can get them at basically cost.

Right now my plans are:

M-9601-MGT K&N Filter

M-5251-MV6A X-Pipe

M-5230-MV6CA Axel Back Exhaust

I am not sure whether or not I will do a CAI as so many reviews come 50/50 in the debate between CAI vs KNN filter. Only thing that actually comes up here is that some people prefer the sound that comes from the CAI.

I want to stick to bolt on upgrades for now. Once I have those done I will be looking to do more to improve the vehicle. For example, at some point I will more than likely switch out the 2.73 gears with 3.73 gears as I have read performance is better without a large hit to MPG like the 4.10s. Also switching out the drive shaft at some point. I’m not planning on removing the limiter until it is replaced. (please don’t spam this with arguments of the driveshaft being good or bad, I would just rather stay on the safe side and get one that can handle high speeds without a question)

I would appreciate any help with more parts that I can swap out easily, and If you have any information in regards to how the warranty is impacted by non-ford parts and tuning. I’m in Lawrence Kansas if anyone has information on a good crew to work on these cars.

THANK YOU!

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like you've got the easy things listed. As you said, CAI is not really necessary unless you like the sound. The biggest thing not listed would be a tune, which can impact warranty. Gears would also significantly change your acceleration given your current ratio. Power wise, I'm not sure what else you can easily bolt on without messing with warranty. Are you sure the x-pipe won't ding your warranty? Usually a tune is required when you switch out the mid pipe. You can probably also do some light suspension work, short throw shifter, wheels and tires. Anything else (headers, forced induction, etc) will probably void the warranty.

I've been out of the S197 world for a bit so maybe someone else will bring up other items for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Btw, it seems some dealerships are stricter than others when it comes to mods and honoring the warranty. If a dealer is telling you certain mods won't void the warranty, I'd try to get that in writing. I wouldn't worry about stuff like axlebacks and intake filters. Tunes can be a different story.

Well I probably should have added that I have an automatic. I'm not really considering superchargers as of yet because of the cost really. Just the 3 things listed above I can get for just under 1,000. The x-pipe and axel backs shouldn't affect the warranty at all since they are Ford Performance Parts designed specifically for this mustang. I was told a throttle body upgrade would be good but I do not know much about that. I have heard about replacing the headers as well but it seems that ford does not make different ones for the V6.

The tune is the big thing. I don't know if Ford offers tuning and not sure they would Honor the warranty if I had it tuned elsewhere. The gears I can get done through Ford so that should be easy enough to retain the warranty. A supercharger maybe if they make one for the 6 but I believe they only have them for the 8s.

I've also only seen Ford supercharger kits for V8s. I'm not sure why a different throttle body would get you anything without other mods.

With an automatic, gears and tune would really wake up the car. You'd have to ask V6 owners but I think 4.10s might be pushing it.

Let's see if others can provide more info for you here. I hate to direct you to another forum...but if you don't get much traffic here, Mustang Evolution has a huge S197 V6 crowd.

I've built 2 s197's now so a bit of first hand is here. with the 3.7 v6 you don't really need a cold air kit. the drop in filter will do just as much as the kit. gear wise I had 3.73 on the street and found them to low. back down to 3.55 my cruising rpm's are more in the torque zone. the ford performance x pipe and axle backs will help buy some people have found them loud inside,
tuner wise back in aug 2015 ford gave the dealers a big tech bulletin on how to look for performance add-on's and where to look in the pcm programing for tunes. going into the pcm they can tell if a tune has been used and taking back out to go in for a try at a warranty fix.
blower wise only the after market has come up with units for the ford v6. procharger has the best for the 3.7

Attachments

• Gas Engine Performance Modifications Job Aid.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 671
Kennyprost,I have Magnaflo catback, airraid CAI and Bama 93R tune, The tune is the big mod for power, Catback for a mean sound, and personally I love the CAI for the sound, and whatever small gains i got from it. I bought my car new and installed all within 6 months, screw the warranty

THANK YOU![/QUOTE]