289 Firing Back Through Carb??

Bristang5

Oct 8, 2010
this is what I have...about 5 years ago I went through my engine and put a mild cam in it...1983 HO heads with roller rocker arms and an edelbrock carb. always ran alittle funny but was fine...this summer I screwed with the timing (petronix breaker-less in a HP dual point dist) and the car started to run really rich and fouled out the plugs. I swapped the plug for some autolite 25's and found the carb gasket was bad and replaced that...now when I rev it up it pops back through the carb. I have ran it;s timing both ways (retarded and advanced) with no change...I can drive it and it will at times obviously not be running right....I have changed the coil and the wires have almost no time on them...any ideas? I have my old dist that I will swap in later in the week to see what it does....thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If it has a Holley it has probably blown out the power valve . Is it a roller cam or just a flat tappet cam ?
You may have a sticky intake valve ,do a compression check .

agreed. its an edelbrock though which means it probably is ready for a rebuild kit. needle valves can stick, power valve pistons can stick, etc. these carbs do need a good cleaning once in a while.

as for the backfiring, again i agree you may have a sticky valve. try running some marvel mystery oil through the system for about a week or so, then change the oil and see if that cures the problem.