Progress Thread 289 Heads On 302 Block

C-Los

Sep 14, 2015
Just got ahold of what I thought was a 302 motor casting # E7TE. Turns out it has 289 heads. is this Good ? Bad? What do I look for to see it was done correctly. Is it just a simple swap bolt on with no adjustments or any type of changes?

Thanks ...

• Sponsors (?)

image.jpg image.jpg Here's what I have...is thi correct?

It looks like you are right, you have an 80's 302 block and 289 heads.
looks like the setup on the rockers is correct to me from what I can see. With that said I cant tell you all is correct cause we don't know what someone did with the rest of the engine? example = pistons.

It looks like you are right, you have an 80's 302 block and 289 heads.
looks like the setup on the rockers is correct to me from what I can see. With that said I cant tell you all is correct cause we don't know what someone did with the rest of the engine? example = pistons.

Say the block is stock.... Will this set up not work?

Well that's an 87 and later truck motor according to the code and I believe is a roller motor and I think 87 had flat top pistons where others used domed? So I don't think I can tell you much more givin the info you have. You might be able to use those heads but as a minimum you might want to go with thread in rocker studs. Those are pressed in.
Have you heard this run?
Somebody else will weigh in on this who's had more experience matching these im sure.