3.8l V6 Cats - Ulev Or Tlev?

InvalidUserID

Apr 29, 2005
Hello all,

It appears the cats on my sister's 2001 V6 are toast (mechanic wanted major $$$ for them but said if we bought them ourselves, he would put them on). I looked everywhere in the engine bay for the sticker that has the emission info but couldn't find anything or the sticker.

Looking at Magnaflow's page, the CA-legal cats are either ULEV or TLEV. Does anyone know what the stock ones were or anyone in CA with the same can take a look for me?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Well there is 5 different ratings that ARB regulates in Ca.

1) TLEV- Transitional Low Emission Vehicle
2) LEV- Low Emission Vehicle (3 phases - I, II, III)
3) ULEV- Ultra Low Emission Vehicle
4) SULEV- Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle
5) ZEV - Zero Emission Vehicle

On your application it is LEV, up to include ULEV. As long as you have a rating no less than LEV I then you are OK.

• TLEV-Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle Early standard, phased out in 2004.
  • LEV-Low-Emission Vehicle This standard was the required average for all light vehicles sold nationwide for model years 2004 and beyond.
  • ULEV-Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle Vehicles with this designation are 50 percent cleaner than the average new model-year vehicle.
  • SULEV-Super Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle Vehicles with this designation are 90 percent cleaner than the average new model-year vehicle.
  • PZEV-Partial Zero-Emission Vehicle Vehicles that meet SULEV tailpipe emissions standards, have a 15-year/150,000-mile warranty and zero evaporative emissions.
  • AT PZEV-Advanced Technology PZEV Compressed natural-gas or hybrid vehicles that meet SULEV standards for tailpipe emissions, have a 15-year/150,000-mile warranty, zero evaporative emissions, as well as include advanced technology components.
  • ZEV-Zero-Emissions Vehicle Electric and hydrogen-fuel-cell vehicles that have zero harmful tailpipe emissions and are 98 percent cleaner than the average new model-year vehicle.

Last edited: