305/35r20 Not Fitting!

Rusnak_322

Jul 27, 2016
Help
I researched this prior to buying some used wheels.
I have a 2013 GT convertible that is lowered 1 1/2" (I think).

I bought some 20" wheels, the rear is a +35 offset 9 1/2" wide running Nitto 305/35 20 drag radials.
I put one on and it looks like will rub big time.

I know the recommended wheel for this tire is a 10". The wheels came off of a 2012 GT500 that was lowered by some amount.

Is the problem the tire on the narrow rim? Anything I can do other then get new tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Rubbing on the outside

3a1112c347a4d45e416d766ce158411c.jpg

You can see the line here-
c47ac15b40cb4e335617d9e6a1dbfd4d.jpg

I only took it down the street

6753c78902e809ec6183436e6bbfcaa2.jpg

c168cb9e40752dfedb623904022811ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

305/35s are taller then the 285/30s that come on the 9.5 inch rears from the factor and they are technically too wide for the wheels, but I know plenty of guys who run them without and issue. Looking at your pics the rims themselves seem to stick out past the wheel opening. They shouldn't, They are definitely a different offset from the factory 20x9.5 rears in fact the offset is closer to the stock front rims.So one possibility is that you have the wrong rims, There is another. Does the wheels stick out like that on both sides? When you lowered the car did you install an adjustable panhard rod to re-center the body over the rear? When you lowered your car it causes the body to shift to the passenger side in relation to the rear, how much depends on how much it was lowered. iIf the R/R wheel is not sticking out like the L/R the start with that. If it is then try a smaller tire or get rims with the right offset.

SVTPilot has everything covered. If the wheels stick out the same on both sides, and there are no spacers on the hub (I'm sure there isn't), then the offset is a problem. I "THINK" wheels designed for 04 and older cars have offset on them that cause them to stick out a little more. Perhaps those were designed for the New Edge and older cars instead.

100_2716.JPG
I talked to the tech guy at Hotchkis and these wheels were designed to fit Mustangs and have the rim flush with the fender
I do have an adjustable panhard and the stock rims were centered.
http://www.hotchkis.net/hotchkis-rolls-new-performance-wheel-line/
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OK but the rims are clearly not sitting flush with the fenders so if Hotchkis said they are supposed to then something is not right. Did you ask him what size tire they are designed to accommodate and tell him that your car is lowered ? Also after looking at your pictures again I think your car is lowered more the 1.5inchs. Above is my 2010 before it went to a watery grave in Sandy. I have 285/30-19s on 19 x10s and Ford racing K-Spring with a 1.5 inch drop. Note the difference in the Gap between the tire and the wheel opening . Quite a bit larger then yours, By the way those wheels look great so i hope you can make it work.

Last edited:
The wheel looks flush on my car but the tire really bulges out. I am shocked that a 1/2 inch less rim would have such a big effect.
Your car looked great. I was not sure about the red wheels, but I like them now.

The wheel looks flush on my car but the tire really bulges out. I am shocked that a 1/2 inch less rim would have such a big effect.
Your car looked great. I was not sure about the red wheels, but I like them now.
Thank you!. I think the problem the is a combination the taller overall outside diameter of the tire and the bulging from the rim width The overall diameter of your tires are 1.67" more the the 285s that came on the stock 20x9.5" GT500 rears, add that to the bulging and a 1.5" or lower drop and I think that's it. When you spoke to Hotchkis did they say what size tire they recommend for that wheel? Red wheels are not something I would normally like, too flashy for me, but they seem to work on your car, maybe because of the red interior. Then again my current Mustang is orange so maybe my tastes are changing.

SVT is right- overall height/diameter of the 20"s and the dropped suspension is why the tires are rubbing. Looks like you lost a few inches of clearance between the fender and tires.

Tirerack has a good overall tire height calculation method for this somewhere on their sight. This will help you determine what tire sizes you want. A lot of people get wider tires, but they negate the sidewall height, which is just as important.

If it weren't for the rubbing, you would be getting some excellent traction at the expense of acceleration.