347 Starting Issues

Aleute87

Apr 2, 2016
  • Hi guys, So I'm working with a 67 mustang 347 stroker full roller crate motor with an edelbrock 600 4bbl. The motor has been in the car for a little over 6 months and running flawlessly. Last weekend I came back from an uneventful hour long drive around town and shut the engine down normally. I came back outside an hour later and tried to start it but it sounded flooded. Turned the engine over a few more times with no luck. Normally this motor is a turnkey first turn starter. I found that the only way to get it to start was by keeping my foot halfway down on the gas. It would run but soon as I would back off it died. Pulled all the plugs and found that they were wet with fuel. Let them air out and scuffed them up with 600 grit. Tried starting again and now I couldn't even get the engine to catch. Strong cranking but not firing. Pulled the number one plug and tried to ground it to the frame while cranking. No luck. I had a summit brand hei coil in cap dizzy that I checked all the wires on. Found it wasn't making a spark. Replaced it with a new pertronix flamethrower and coil I had laying around. Got the motor to fire up and verified base timing was at 14 degrees btdc. Let the engine run for about 15 min with no issues. I thought my work here was done til I tried to start it again with no luck. I checked timing while cranking and it hasn't moved. All wires are verified good, in correct order, and firing. I can get the motor to catch briefly by pumping the gas while cranking but as soon as it catches it just backfires out the carb. Sorry for the novel but if you made it this far any and all suggestions are welcome.

• Sponsors (?)