tx-7

Dec 26, 2008
i am new here so bare with me.

i am putting a 351w in my 90 lx.

whats needed?

1.intake manifold

2.carb

3.what is a good distributer?
-how does that work what is needed?(sense no more computer and all)
-i am really stumped on this one.

4.i should not need to replace fuel lines?

5.as far a fuel pump how does that work?

anything else please open for input

thanks for your help.

• Sponsors (?)

whats needed?

1.intake manifold

2.carb

thanks for your help.

Why don't you leave it EFI?

dude why go to carb? to do it the correct unhacked way theres wiring that needs removed from the EFI and if it were me i would get a carb fuel tank run all new stainless lines fuel pump. all you need to convert from a 351w from a 302 in a fox is an intake $650ish for a trick flow 42#injectors $100-$299 new maf 99 and up lightning $79-$100 new you need to widen the fuel rails by adding to the cross over tube get new fuel line and crimps $20 max (some say 351 swap headers) 351 fox swap oil pan conversion summit has the FRPP ones (witch i bought for my swap) $135 dizzy you can go u pull it and get an EFI one for next to nothing. everything is junk yard parts except the oil pan conversion and headers i beleive. But you will be way futher ahead if you could fine a 351w 95 and newer for sale. i can answer some questions if ya need help as well as others on here i'm doing a swap myself here is a link to my build http://forums.stangnet.com/751223-my-351-build-pics.html peace

john:p

if it's EFI already then as long as you just drop it right in your 95% done! all you should need is headers oil pan and clutch kit and fly wheel.If you stay EFI and go with better intake and so forth your gonna be into it about the same as if you went carbed,but with way way less hassel. peace

john:p

If you scour the yards you can find a oil pan that will work. a 1991 and eairler P72 Crown Vic Police car with the 351 uses a double sump 351 pan. look for VVI carb as it is the identifier for the 351. the 302 uses a simular intake to the stock 5.0 mustang. the engines are pretty good to make a performance piece from. they have the junk E6 heads, but hey... i bought one a few years back for 100 bucks that i heard run.

whats needed?

1.intake manifold

2.carb

thanks for your help.

There's a lot of left out details, so i'll assume this isn't a straight up race engine and make suggestions based on a typical 351 junkyard engine swap.

1. Wieand Stealth intake. It's a duel plane but it flows nearly as good on the top end as some of the single plane intake, without sacrificing bottom end torque.

2. For a carb i'd probably go with one of Holley's 670 Street Avengers (since i'm guessing you may not know much about carbs....if you do then i'd go with a 650-700cfm double pumper).

3. There's a lot of great distributor options. Some of them are GM/HEI style and have built in ignitions and the coil all right on the disy so you just run a 12v hot wire to it and go...VERY simple but a little more expensive. You could go the cheap route and get a stock '85 302 Duraspark ignition box and an '80s 351W distributor (so long as it was a carbed 351 disy) and wire it up like stock, but that can be a PITA since your car is originally EFI, you'll have to hunt down some wires etc. Personally i'm running an old out of production Mallory Comp 9000 distributor, which has a built in ignition in the distributor so i just wire it up to a coil and go. They do make similar distributors which are all pretty nice...it all just comes down to how much cash you have on this one.

4. I've heard most people say the stock fuel lines are good up to about 400hp before you start starving your engine. I've even heard as little as 300hp, but i'm pretty sure the '95 Cobra R (which was the only late model 'stang to come with a 351W) had the same size fuel lines as every other Mustang clear back to '79. That car was only rated at 300hp, but i'm sure they were both under rated and people built them up to make much more power before they had to switch the lines. This boils down to how racey you get with the engine...i'd say you're plenty safe for now if it's a stock head/cam engine, but it won't take a lot to make 400hp so it may be something to keep in the back of your mind.

5. Again you have a couple options on fuel pumps. First, the "correct" way would be to use a timing chain cover that has provisions for a mechanical pump, and run a mechanical pump. This will require some tinkering with the factory setup though, which you also have a couple options with. 1) you could do it right and swap out the gas tank altogether for a sumped/carburetor ready tank. 2) you can go the ghetto (but effective) route and simply remove the pump from the tank and replace it with a length of hose and put a sock filter on the end of that. Most people say this is dumb but it works quite well. Once you have the tank/sump sorted out you could also run an inline electric fuel pump, but i'm not a big fan of them pesonally so i stick with mechanical pumps. Me personally, i would probably go all out and buy a new tank for an '85 and do it right, and run an aftermarket mechanical pump.

I am doing something similar to that of the original post except I did not start out on an EFI car.

I have a 1996 Roller motor I am putting into an earlier pre-fox mustang that was originally carburaged. I have a 351W from a F-150 EFI pickup that I want to put a 4V carb onto. I want to run a factory distrubutor, 1979 front end accessories like a/c, p/s, brackets, etc., and mechanical fuel pump.

I know since the later motor has a roller cam I can't use the same gear as an earlier distributor, say, a 1979.

Can I run a distributor from a 4V 351W from a 1985 F-150 pickup, as I can easily pull one from a local wrecking yard?

For a high performance application, I want a better mechanical fuel pump, so, using the 1979 timing chain cover with the accomodation for the mechanical pump, which is the best high performance part that you would recommend?

I am after a vintage racer kind of setup... Although I plan on running a pair of GT-40P heads.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

Allan