351w To V6 Swap 1000hp+

Snookslayn

May 28, 2015
Got a 2001 mustang convertible a few months back and going to pop a 351w in it. Right now the car is under going interior work and I'm working out some of the electrical.. This car was purchased for around $1500. It was purchased as a project and am fully aware that the swap will be quite difficult.. What I've worked out so far through reading is that I'm going to require the following for the actual swap;
1)new kmember for pushrod motors..
2) new harness and pcm
3) fuel system( would like carbed)
4) new gauges

If anyone wants to chime in to save me valuable time and money or who has done this before feel free. My biggest concern is will my current drive train/trans combo bolt to the engine? It will be a complete engine yanked from a mid 90's f250 and will eventually be built up but I'm doing the build myself and want to make sure everything fits and gets along nice before I beef it up.. Emissions are not a problem in my state

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 477
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 383
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Looking at twin turbo.. Cxracing offers an air to air "bolt on" lol that would work with a 351 for about 2500.. If I upgrade the inter cooler, cam and intake and go with some nice aftermarket 205cc heads I should be able to make 1000 on a stock block with stock internals running race gas.. I want the car to be able to claim 1000 but it doesn't always need to run that high (would like to run it around 15 psi at 650-700).. Since I would have to do and replace a lot regardless I don't see the 4.6 being as cost efficient of a swap.. A hellion twin turbo runs about 5 or 6k and I'm guessing a stock block would implode then explode if I tried to even reach 600?

For the swap;
95 gt kmember with fox body vert motor mounts for a 351( think I could use my breaks and suspension)
95 gt harness and pcm
I have the original t5 and going to upgrade with a gforce 600 after the engine goes in with an 8.8
I believe the t5 requires a new bell but I think I can manage for the swap with a 90 f150 fly..
Haven't figured out Fuel?!?!?

Have heard carbed is easier and cost efficient and on the same setup could probably get away with an air to air intercooler and still make close to 1000.. Also looking into Holleys hp efi

I thought the 351w was only good to 700 crank-horse power stock block. OEM rods where only good to 500 crank horsepower with ARP hardware and the crank was only good to 5800-6k rpm....

CXR stuff is likely not to fit worth a day. You'll still need to be able to fab or have someone that can cut and weld stuff for you.

It's also easier to just go with an after malts subframe for the SBC.

If you are going carb you won't need wiring or an ECU. Just rewire it yourself and save he headache.

If you want a $1000hp why bother swapping in a 8.8? Just go for the 9".

Brakes won't be an issue, you can just upgrade to cobra brakes for cheap.

For plumbing and custom fabrication an arc welder and hole saw as well as removing the panels should get the job done.. Should be able to get by with some slotted rotors off eBay till actually making HP and for the grand finale I'm going to attach the hydraulic system from a convertible to the underside of the trunk and fab a spoiler that acts as an air brake if wired to come on with the break lights.. Should account for 50% of the breaking or more