393 or 427 stroker kits for 351w

MustangGlx

Apr 2, 2003
Connecticut
im building a 351w for my 69 mustang, itl be for only summer use, mostly street but definatly some strip, should i go for te 393 troker kit or the 427 stroker kit? or should i stick with the stock 351ci? what are some pros and cons you guys can think of, ive gone back and forth for probobly a month now, so, i decided to get some outside opinion thanks

• Sponsors (?)

In my mind there is no replacement for displacement. I'd do the 427stroker kit. I mean if your gonna spring for all the machine work and stuff anyways shouldn't you get all you can out of it? Thats my .02.

68_stanger said:
In my mind there is no replacement for displacement. I'd do the 427stroker kit. I mean if your gonna spring for all the machine work and stuff anyways shouldn't you get all you can out of it? Thats my .02.
i don't think the 427 is a good choice really.

the rod ratio is too extream to be a seriously high rpm motor at the track, plus i'm not sure you can get pistons for the 427 that the wrist-pin doesn't interupt the lower ring groove.
i think it really depends on you budget.

whats wrong with a 408? it isn't too extream, but then its that much more then the 383.

383's are cheaper price wise, but still can produce high hp in a safe, well balanced package.
408's have the same advantage, and more displacement and slightly more $. its the in between stroker. it's gonna be the kit of choice for me.

go all forged if its gonna see alot of track use, plus see it you can get the mains modified to 4-bolt(especialy if you go for the 427)
my $.02

I chose the 393 for the street as the side loading on the pistons is reasonable for a long living engine. Keep in mind that the more cubes you choose, the more money you have to spend to make it breathe appropriately.

I got a Coast High Performance 393 Kit on sale for $900. Included new forged pistons, new stock rods and bolts, new cast steel crank, main and rod bearings. For an everyday street motor, that will be all I need and was probably as cheap as buying all the stock 351 stuff.