4.6 and Coilovers

lime_challenger

Oct 8, 2004
I am currently working in a 71 fastback and i am wanting to do something different with it. I am considering a 4.6 DOHC in it. Now i want to keep the shock towers in place, so i was curious if anyone has seen this done or knows if it will fit. Also if you know the width of the DOHC please tell me.

I am also planning on putting tubular upper and lower control arms on and coilovers that mount from the lower control arm to the shock tower. Has anyone messed around with the Global west Neg Roll System? Or, would i be better off by control arms and coilovers through a racing company and make sure they are the correct length.

If anyone has any other ideas that i could do to this mustang feel free to share. Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a crate DOHC out in the shop right now that's going in a '67. I've removed the shock towers though, but I would think that a '71 would have enough room with the shock towers intact. The engine is about 29.5" wide at the widest point, which is at the "Mickey Mouse ear" bulges at the front of the valve covers (see photo).

Attachments

• crateeng02.jpg
    crateeng02.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 123
I'm constantly thinking of what I could do as far as engine upgrades go, and one thing I keep returning to is retrofitting a 4.6 DOhC Cobra engine in there. I can't make up my mind though, and I don't have the time to do anything now anyway. If you do the swap, please post pics and a review of how everything went.

Question

Do you need to run a computer with this setup or can you get a carb set-up? I noticed on the Ford Racing site that they sell the 03 cobra motors for $15K, that's way outside of my price range without selling off my wife, but it would be an interesting future project when the prices come down.

65mistress said:
Do you need to run a computer with this setup or can you get a carb set-up?

Everything's computer controlled right now, but that may change in the future. The new Ford Racing DOHC 5.0 cammer will be available sometime soon (supposedly) and they claim that there will be a carb version offered. I would think that they would make this hardware available for use on other mod motors as well.

65mistress said:
Do you need to run a computer with this setup or can you get a carb set-up? I noticed on the Ford Racing site that they sell the 03 cobra motors for $15K, that's way outside of my price range without selling off my wife, but it would be an interesting future project when the prices come down.

What's wrong with selling off your wife?