4.6 Knocking- Engine Swap Or Rebuild ?

joe_smuckitely

Sep 5, 2014
i can find 4.6 from crown vic -grand marquis - f150- -for 700 and under with under 100k --but 99 mustang motors for 1600$ + with over 100k- i would like to keep this car for the rest of my life -it has sentimental value - but because the knock all i have been able to do is stare at it out the window- i was just wandering what 4.6 would work and from what year car would b the best match- i would even b up to get mine rebuilt but if block is not good(was told knock is from main rod bearing?) would a windsor block work and dress it up with the mustang parts- or would it need to b mustang block? sorry so long i just want her back on the road in a not breaking the wallet kinda way -- any suggestions would b great -thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I've rebuilt a 4.6L SOHC before. It's not too bad per se, but you probably wont' get one together for any less than you could pick up a used engine for. I certainly would rebuild one with stock parts if I had the choice.....which is gonna drive the price and effort up.

If it were my car, I'd look around for an engine from an '02-'05 Ford Explorer. The exact same platform as the passenger vehicle engine, but with the added benefit of an aluminum block to cut the weight over the front end. And since it's not a Mustang engine, you should still be able to get it for a decent price.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks gear- i found a 02 explorer 4.6 for 700 $ with 82k-- what would i need to get to make it work - wiring harnnes etc or would my mustang stuff work - i can do some work on cars but engine swap i have never attempted- i will have to take to shop- could i use the aluminum block from the explorer and rebuild with my parts ( stang only has 91k on it) or would b to much hassle or would even work? i know some stuff would need changed - pullys and intake flipped around - atleast i have read a bunch of stuff on what has to b done, i kinda get the jist of it -- one thing did say something bout drilling a hole for some heater sensor or something like that if i was to use a truck motor? sorry i got so many questions and thoughts but i lack knowledge- --

You'll likely have to swap your front accessory set of from your current engine, to the Explorer, but otherwise just bolt it up. Don't tear it down and try to swap your stock internals over....just run it. You're more likely to ruin a perfectly good running engine that way. Use your current wiring harness and sensors.

Put the two engines on the floor next to one and other and compare. If they've got identical parts, leave them where they are. If there is something Mustang specific that needs to be on the Explorer engine, swap it over.

yup, my understanding is the front cover is the only thing you'd need to swap over from a non-Mustang 2v, maybe the intake manifold too. Just swap the engine hook up your wiring harness and accessories and drive it for another 200,000 miles.

Another vote for swap over rebuild. I guess if you do it yourself it would be economical but the quotes I got for rebuilding my sons Cobra ranged from $4200 to over 6 grand. I picked up a 96 4V with about 10K miles for $2800.