4.6l Build

Michael Barry

Nov 2, 2015
Ok guys so I'm stuck here, I'm going to go forced induction and I'm starting with an engine that can hold the power (more than what I'm actually going for so I have options) I'm aiming for about 600rwhp so around what like 700 hp to the crank give or take. I'm not capable of building a whole engine in my garage I don't have the time, knowledge, or space doing my head and cam swap on my current 2v was hard enough lol. But with that beside the point I am currently looking into MMR and cushman motor sports to build my short block. My question is which company do you recommend? Heard a lot about MMR scary but also a lot of good. I'm also looking at a 2.8L KB setup but am not totally against a turbo setup I just know with my knowledge a supercharger would be a good choice probably. Obviously going to have to make this happen over time not all at once since this is a lot of money. But let me know what you guys think, thanks. Btw I have a 98 GT and I'm dead set on building it up I don't want to just buy another car.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 151
  • image.png
    image.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Sponsors (?)

Yea seems like they have good knowledge and a good product it just seemed like every forum i would get on for a few months had a new MMR horror story, its all warrantied so i dont know what the problem could be lol

You HAVE to have an engine builder in your city. I saved a WHOOOOLE bunch of money by having a local engine builder build my old 2V motor. I bought MMR forged H-beams, Manley forged pistons, and ARP hardware from MMR and had a local shop assemble its for less than half the cost of an assembled shortblock from either company. I reused the stock block (just decked it and honed the cylinder walls) and stock crank (just had the journals polished). BAM! 700hp shortblock for around $1800

As far as the reputation of MMR is concerned, it has to do with their customer service.....they dont have any. If you ANY problems with ANY product that has left their facility, you're 100% completely on your own. Say you buy one of their shortblocks and, for some reason, it fails after something like 10 miles......you're :leghump: ed

As far as the reputation of MMR is concerned, it has to do with their customer service.....they dont have any. If you ANY problems with ANY product that has left their facility, you're 100% completely on your own. Say you buy one of their shortblocks and, for some reason, it fails after something like 10 miles......you're **** ed

So basically the 18 month extended warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on? and I would like to find a local engine builder but I'm not sure of anyone around here that could do it.

If anyone knows of a good reputable shop in IL or close like ST. Louis, I would be willing to drive a little ways for a good build so don't be hesitant to drop names and I will check them out.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone knows of a good reputable shop in IL or close like ST. Louis, I would be willing to drive a little ways for a good build so don't be hesitant to drop names and I will check them out.
Stlmustangs is in park hills mo. Bob is the owner. Got dyno and is very knowledgeable.

sent while thinking of mods for my 4.6s using tapatalk

So basically the 18 month extended warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on? and I would like to find a local engine builder but I'm not sure of anyone around here that could do it.

I never looked into their shortblocks since I built my own. If they offer a warranty than they have to honor it

As far as the reputation of MMR is concerned, it has to do with their customer service.....they dont have any. If you ANY problems with ANY product that has left their facility, you're 100% completely on your own. Say you buy one of their shortblocks and, for some reason, it fails after something like 10 miles......you're **** ed
This has been my experience with MMR exactly. We installed a MMR motor for a customer (long block) that had zero oil pressure on initial start up. It sat in the shop for weeks waiting to actually get some resolution from MMR thst never happened. The customer took the car and as far as I know it was disputed in court, unsure if they ever stood behind thier product or not.

This has been my experience with MMR exactly. We installed a MMR motor for a customer (long block) that had zero oil pressure on initial start up. It sat in the shop for weeks waiting to actually get some resolution from MMR thst never happened. The customer took the car and as far as I know it was disputed in court, unsure if they ever stood behind thier product or not.

Oh great lol I'm thinking I should just stay away from them it seems like a 50/50 chance the more I read and its a lot of money to be basically gambling with. I'll probably end up buying the parts and having someone local install them.

Exactly, your best bet is a reputable local machine shop. Nothing will ever beat dealing with an issue (god forbid you actually have to) face to face!

Reactions: 1 users