4 Speed Shifter

PDQ Pony

Dec 6, 2015
Nebraska
I need to remove my shifter so I can install an after market console. When I took the boot off, it appears that I only need to remove two bolts that hold it in place. I don't want to do this if it will cause a whole lot of other parts to fall out or get misaligned. Can someone help me out here. I think it is easy, but that is usually when I get in trouble.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If it is the factory shifter ,there is two bolts to remove the shifter arm .When you do there is two cups and springs on each side of the base were the bolts are ,be careful they don't spring out on you when you pull out the shift arm and get lost . They are easy to put back ,spring in the shift arm and the cup on the spring and slip the shift arm back in place and bolt down .

OK , horse sense, I thought of another issue as i awoke this morning, where is the connection for the reverse lockout connected and how do I get past this? I may not get to this today after all.

Thanks again, you don't happen to live close by, I could really benefit from that. Yes that is the kind of shifter I have and see how it works now that I took a closer look.
Is the lever bolts before I put a socket to them supposed to be relatively loose.

The bolts are mounted in rubber so there should be a little give ,if the rubber bushings are worn out they can easily be replaced ,they just push out and the new ones push in .You can get them from any of the parts vendors .

Sorry I am in California ...just a slight drive from Nebraska :D

The springs at the bottom of the shift leaver may be broken ,you can buy the spring and cup kit also .If they are broken you will have a bunch of slop in the shifter .I would do the metal cup and spring kit and not the rubber replacement kit ,the factory style is a lot better .

horse sence,
The shifter parts arrived and the cups and springs are fine. The bolts that I removed are difffertent from those provided. the new ones are shoulder bolts and about a 1/2 inch longer than the ones removed. The rubber grommets will fit over the shoulder but not into the shifter assembly. Are they supposed ride above the shifter and allow some flex? I am thinking of using the ones that I removed instead. The shifter worked okay before. What has been your experience?